FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 09:47:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing Oil Bath Filter Medium  (Read 3018 times)
plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »

G'Day all,

Has anyone attempted to replace the Metal Filter Medium in a Oil Bath Air Filter, if so can the correct method be described please.

Regards

John
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »

It's not supposed to be replaced in service, but I guess it could be replaced by drilling out the spot welds and putting new stuff in, then rewelding or pop riveting - not 100 % sure what the metal is, maybe aluminium.  It certainly dissolves in caustic solution (experience  Huh) so it isn't steel.

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »

I had boxes of NOS air filter replacements but they were for a different model, (smaller diameter) as I could not determine what car they were for I did the unthinkable & chucked them to the tip.

The wire wool type stuff was actually already contained in the circular metal frame, thinking back now I could have used the stuff to replace mine plus quite a few more!

Gary

plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »

Thanks Ken and Gary,

I will drill the spot welds and remove the lower section to replace or clean the medium.

Regards

John
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »

Just curious why you actually want to remove the inner stuff. The best way to clean is put it in a parts washer and give it a thorough soaking and then blow out with compressed air. Repeat a few times if contaminants remain.

Ken
plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:38:38 AM »

Hi Ken,

I sandblasted the Filter two years ago and painted 2 pack black, after washing and blowing many times there is still fine grains of sand coming out, everything is new or re-conditioned on this Ute including the 138 Grey, so I am not taking any chances.

Regards

John
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »

I too have been down the "learn from experience" track, I too have learnt that the "element" dissolves in a caustic solution. I too have found that I was unable to totally clean an "element" after bead blasting it.

The air filter that I "dissolved" was from a Ford Prefect and the one that I filled full of glass was from a 36 Ford.  Embarrassed In both cases I was able to get a replacement air filter.

If I were to need to clean an oil bath "element" today, I would ensure that the "element" is totally free from oil and have it soda blasted. This way the bi carb soda is dissolvable, ensuring that no contaminants remain in the "element". I would also ensure that as much of the "element" would be covered as possible to ensure that any rust or paint did not lodge in the "element".

Maybe it would be better to obtain a replacement air cleaner lid with new element. I realise there is the pain of having to redo the lid in two pack to ensure that it matches the base, it sounds like you have done a great job on your car and, like you, I would not be taking the chance of particles coming out and getting into the engine.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »

I see, yes under your circumstances it is necessary to remove the element to ensure no grit remains.

I guess pop riveting it back together would be the best way to go.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: