FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:21:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Standard Tyres  (Read 9680 times)
Eaton_FE
wa-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

Has anybody else had trouble getting tyre for standard rims, I have just been informed that the Tyres for the FE are no longer avaliable.

Do I have the only car with 13x175 tyres in W.A.?
Maybe it will be ok with 3 wheels

Les
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »

les I have fitted 185 85 radials on my stocky with no problems rolling height about the same as original maybe a little bit quicker solves the speedo error to
regards mal
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »

Look at this.

http://www.holdencarparts.com.au/18570x13-whitewall-tyres-forsale,name,12348,auction_id,auction_details

These tyres are a lot closer to the 'correct' rolling diameter than 175 section tyres would be.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »

Spinner, these are 185x70 tyres which are not the correct rolling diameter.

Les, the closest radial you can get to a 6.40x13 crossply is a 185x80x13, the rolling diameter is only about 3% less than the crossplys. These are not impossible to get, I have just purchased a set of Maxxis in this size with a whitewall for my FC. I believe the Sumitomos are also now available again. The only problem with these is that you get a lot of oil bleed through the whitewall and they go brown quickly. I am sure there are others as well.

It just takes a bit of persistence. Start with Antique Tyre Supplies in Melbourne, but good retailers will also be able to help.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »

Hi Les,
I bought some 185/80 x 13 Hankook Kingstar radials today. These have a 1" whitewall. Cost $70 each/$280 for 4 (unfitted as they are for my Wagon Project).

Bought them from Lucas Tyres in Dandenong Vic 03 97911706. Saw these on Nascohunter's FB and reckon they are the go at that price.

Regards,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Eaton_FE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »

Thank fellas
I think I got a bit of a surprise when beau said your not gunna get tyres to fit them, then thanks to the posts I have some leads, and some round black things heading west.

Thanks

Les
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »

Hey Les...send me a PM with the details of where beau lives and I will try and get him on the same page as us, or put a rocket up him at least

Cheers
Gary

Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:35 AM »

Kostera’s in Kalamunda has 'antique tyres' too I believe
cam58tiger
qld-club

Cam Sargent
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »

I bought a set of the Sumitomo 185x80 13's in Sep last year from a tyre dealer in Toowoomba Qld. They look good I think.
Harley
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:19 AM »

cam58tiger are they are good tyre on the road, i'll need some tyres shorty but as yet uncertain which ones & what I can get in 13''
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »

Harley there has been a lot of discussion about this. If you use the search facility you will be able to find the relevent threads.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Harley
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »

Yeah done that John - I'm just interested in what the sumo's are like - my choice is either 185/80 sumo's or khumo's
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »

The Sumitomos are are a good tyre, the only problem with them in my experience is oil bleed into the whitewall. The whitewall goes brown quickly, it does stop after a while but you have to regularly clean them with jiff/ajax or equivalent to keep them looking good. Don't know anything about the Kumhos but lets face it any decent radial would have to be better then crossplys and if your car is reasonably standard they should be well in excess of the cars capabilities.

Cheers
John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: