FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:08:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strippers  (Read 3854 times)
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »

Just wondering what paint strippers people have used to get there panels back to bare metal.

I know theres the option of soda balsting, sand blasting acid dipping etc but like most due to lack of funds on a regular basis the long and tedious process of paint stripper wins out as my best option at the moment.  Just curious as to the success of some brands over others.  Im expecting to paint strip the best part of it off and then sand back with a disc on a grider whats left. 

Also if used stripper what did you put on the ground to catch all the stripper and paint, just tarps or was cardboard etc a better option.

Luckily the paint is still original and no excess panel damage, resulting in excess paint underneath the top coat.  Thanks to all in advance.

Jase

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »

Jase, I used those cheap plastic sheets from supacheap. Their cheap strippers are ok, always better to use when warm.
I always kept a bucket of clean water handy for any nasty little incidents.

Have fun!

Colin.

colt
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »

C'mon,really...how many people are going to admit to having used a cheap stripper.... Huh Grin Grin

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:10:16 AM »

Thanks colin. Job for today. Wife and I are going out to purchase a stripper.  Never thought that would happen although Ive asked many a time. LOL.  About the temp.  Thanks for the heads up but I live in Far north Queensland (Cairns) so lack of temp is rarely a concern unlike ACT.  Im coming your way in June when I bring my car up for the hd/hr nationals so I will find out how cold it can get.  Cheers.

Jase 4869

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:44 AM »

I used stripper pads on my 7" sander and wire wheels on my 4 1/2" angle grinder and found they worked a treat and cheap too compared to chemical strippers

Hope this helps
                                            Frank
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »

Jase, heat should'nt be a problem then. An understanding wife is always a bonus. Make sure you bring plenty of jumpers and coats.

Colin.

colt
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »

C'mon,really...how many people are going to admit to having used a cheap stripper
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Just thought I'd mention that this has been talked about before on the site so you should be able to look it up, apparently the best technique is to apply the stripper then cover with clingwrap for a while, scrape it off then use one of those seaweed(stripper) discs to take off the rest as they don't generate as much heat and warp panels.
                                                             Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »

Depending on how much paint there is to remove i will either use standard stripper which i paint on, the 6" grinder with the stripping/sanding discs or my Dewalt sander.

I used this stuff (think it was made by Selley's) that came in a pressure pack and worked really well but at $12 a can it would work out very expensive to do a whole car Undecided

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: