FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Floor Hump  (Read 31556 times)
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »

Can any one show in progress pictures of a Castlemaine Rod Shop floor hump being installed. Just purchased one and it does not look like a straight forward fit. Would like to hear from anyone that has completed the job.
Regards
Red Devil
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »

I have done it but no pics sorry, I tek screwed it into place and marked out what I needed to cut, undid it and cut and ground the metal for welding. Once that was done I screwed it back in a welded it up, sealed and then sound deadener.

red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »

Did you have to trim the new hump itself to help it fit better.
Ta
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »

John it needs to be bent around a bit as you tack it in  or you can use a few pop rivets to keep it removable while you get a good fit... and then a bit of hammer and dolly work before you fully weld it... but it won't just fit ....FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »

got it, makes more sense now.
Thanks guys again, I love this site.
Keep these early girls young.
Red Devil
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:05:46 PM »

And don't forget your reinforcement plate around the gear shift hole ........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »

Hi Red,
                Unfortunately no actual progress shots but have a look at these. Not really of much help as a step by step but it's nice to look at heaps of pics sometimes.

I too found that the hump was a fair bit out and had to do a bit of cutting and shaping by hand and with a grinder.

I am fortunate to have both a mig welder and an oxy. I found the oxy extremely helpful as I used it to heat up and soften the long lips on either side of the hump and make it conform better to the shape of the floor.

I also had about 20 mm of over lap on all the bottom edges as I cut the hole in the floor smaller and this over lap was more easily folded into the hump from the under side.  Probably can do it by cold working it but in my case I found it much easier with flame. Doing it cold I found that the floor pan and hump would bounce around a bit. Would have to resort to using 2 hammers or dollies.

The pictures that are black are at the stage after I painted it with POR 15 paint and it is nice and glossy and due the gloss level it looks likes a dogs breakfast but in reality it isn't that bad. The sandblasted shots look ok.

Have yet to put in the cross member strengthening rib on the under side.

All in all I was glad when I had it complete (nearly)   I can take some more pics if you need them but obviously it would only be more of the same as below unless you want to see something close up/specific.

Cheers  M

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »

Bugger, had a double up and forgot some.   Angry

This is the stage where I was at just like you and thinking bugger it is never going to fit easily.

mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »

OK one more time then I am going to smash telstra bigpond (Pedro I feel your pain)

red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »

Mikey these are great shots, I feel better about starting. Cutting this car is giving me nightmares as I'm not comfortable with altering her in this way but for the sake of making her drive with a bit of fire in the belly and right foot satisfaction it is for the greater good. These pic's tell the story and your time and effort to put them there is VERY appreciated.
Regards
Red Devil
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »

No probs mate,
                        When I went and purchased the hump and it was placed on the bench in front of me I remember thinking "holy crap Batman, that thing is huge"

I knew it would be bigger than the original hump (of course) but not by that much.

Anyway the size has grown on me and now I think it looks good.

Cheers  M

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »

CRS made it the same size as EK auto and it makes getting moulded carpet a simple task .........FC427..........

red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »

Thanks Mikey and FC427 . I had not thought of the plate around the shifter either so good pick up. I have said it before and I will say it again this forum is tops. Great bunch of people.
Very appreciated.
Red Devil
bomer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »

hey im just about to do the same thing this week so i will take heaps of photos if you like although i have the whole floor to replace so maybe a little different

adam
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

Bomer , more pic's the better.Can't have enough info.Good Luck.
Ta
Red Devil
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »

Gidday Red Devil, I have a transmission hump on it's way to me from Pat Gardner at V6 Conversions. It will be going in as soon as I get it so I will post some pics. Cheers, Jack
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »

Thanks Jack, all helps, I will post as we go as well to help others in the future.
Ta
Red Devil
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »

Finally had the balls to cut the old girl, this was not fun, as much as I want a hottie, I felt a little sad.
Hump is next ( that's the floor one ) and hopefully on the way to rego and driving.
Thanks to all so far for good advice. Great Club.
Red Devil

Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »

John,
The cut-out severely weakens the the floor (and body generally).
Where is your strengthening coming from.
Geoff
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »

doesn't weaken it as much as you may think, i knew a guy years ago that had a blown small block in an EK he drove this car extremly hard burnouts drags etc, it had no floor hump at all no chassis kit just a standard body with anything that got in the way cut out

i might add i wouldn't do this and wouldn't recomend it and i wouldn't like to be in the car in an accident, no windows poped out and the doors opened and closed with no dramas
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: