FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Column Shift Turbo 400 Linkage  (Read 11442 times)
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »

As title says, after a HQ type Column Shift Turbo 400 setup including crossover shaft or any info on anyone that may have one or is wrecking a car that may have one.

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:22:47 PM »

I can't remember ever seeing a 400 on the tree  Huh ???might be easer to get a HK T G power glide  cross over linkage and modify it to work on the 400 just a thought ......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »

never a 400 on  the tree they all t bars right?

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »

Not sure really myself fellas to be honest but years ago I bought a 350 Chev T400 that had been put into a HZ panelvan and it had column shift.

My brother had a HQ sedan in mid '80's that was 308 and T/400 and from memory it was column auto as well.

The 350/T400 in the HZ was the HQ/WB type column from memory but can't remember how the linkage was setup as I put the driveline into my 80837 HQ coupe and I used the floor shift that was already in the HQ.

Maybe it was a "bits of this and bits of that" conversion??

Thanks for the advice FC 427,

Might have to consider that combo you mentioned or make one up myself using various bits and pieces.

Thanks for advice so far..............

FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

Rang some early holden wreckers today and found three places that had them, not particularly cheap but less time consuming for me to have to make them up from scratch.

One of the early holden wreckers that I rang didn't have any but said the last set they had sold for $450  Shocked Shocked Shocked

At that price I would have definately made them myself Shocked Shocked Shocked.

And just to add to some of the questions re T/400 column shift linkages, all the wreckers I rang today said they did come out factory T/400 with column shift but there wern't very many of them.

Hence they are scarce and hence the apparent substantial prices being asked for them now.

Must be a few blokes out there with the same ideas as me. Undecided Undecided Undecided

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »

FB MAD I know that you could factory order a Statesman with a bench seat but the only ones I ever saw were Tritragic box so sounds like a rare one with T400 on the tree...good luck with the search if worse comes to worse you could always use a cable from the box to just below the steering column and hook it up to the column linkages .......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »

Yep,

A couple of the wreckers said some statesmans had them and some ambulances had them and a few commercials in/around HQ/HJ era so sounds like it may have been standard/option in some vehicles and special order on others ( eg Ambos ).

A couple of suggestions I've had involved what you described FC 427 with a large-ish push/pull cable from trans to column.

I've found 3 places today that have them so will buy a setup from one of them and see how it goes.

Might try the cable setup like you said FC 427 if the column linkages don't work out too well.

"Tritragic"  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy haven't heard that one.

"Traumatic, Troublematic" yep.

Thanks for the advice.

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »

What about auto WB commercials?   Huh

They were mainly column shift, and used a left hand side selector gearbox - maybe trimatic, but the crossover selector setup would be similar to the T350/400.

just a thought.   Grin
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »

What about auto WB commercials?   Huh

They were mainly column shift, and used a left hand side selector gearbox - maybe trimatic, but the crossover selector setup would be similar to the T350/400.

just a thought.   Grin

This is what i would try, if you get stuck i have a ford capri t/bar shifter modded to suit a T350 you can have cheap - came out of a GTV6 capri that had a 327 chev in it Shocked
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »

Yes they made column shift T400, I had a 308 T400 HZ Premier wagon with a factory bench seat and column shift, was a good combo actually!!

Cheers

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »

Yep,

Found my Gregorys shop manual HQ/HJ V8 last night which has been missing for bloody ages.

Section in there writes about how to adjust column shift linkages when Turbo 400 is fitted.

So thats HQ HJ and Peter said he had one in HZ. I pulled a 350 chev/T400 from a HZ panelvan column auto years agothat appeared to be factory fitment.

Most likely HX had 'em as well.

Seems they were available across the range of models.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: