FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 12:26:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing question?  (Read 2462 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2008, 04:48:55 PM »

Hi Guys,
When timing my motor I can't get the ball in line with the marker. The distributor is pushed away from the block as far as it can be and the timing ball is half way between the bottom of the timing hole and the marker.Does this mean the distributor is not in correctly? Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Graham
leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »

G Day Graham.
Yes that's the problem, If you have a work shop manual, it should tell you how to rectify that small problem.
If you can wait until Saturday morning I will come over and help you out, No problem.
Regards.
Leon.

KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »

Hi Graham

It should be a simple matter of lifting the distributor up sufficiently out of the block to disengage the gears and then turn the rotor to engage a different tooth.  The way I do it is to line the marker up on the flywheel to the pointer, turn the distributor so the rotor points to to #1 plug contact on the distributor cap and insert the distributor.  The rotor position will have to be "over corrected" before inserting to allow for the spiral turn  of the gears.  This should get you close to the mark and allow movement of the distributor either way of Top Dead Centre for setting the timing.

Keith

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »

Keith, your method works OK for a red motor but not so simple for a grey.
You need to remove the distributor completely and then using a large screwdriver, rotate the oil pump drive to the approximate position of the next tooth on the distributor gear. Then when you replace the distributor to the next tooth it will hopefully line up with the oil pump drive. It make take a little time & effort to get it just right.

Regards  Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: