FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:41:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Injected V8 FC  (Read 249098 times)
brett_f

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »

Well the time has come to upload some more pictures of my project. Been a bit slow progress lately due to the cold weather. The pics show the actual wheels i will be using and mods that i did to the original UC torana front stabilizer to clear the ring gear cover and the completed rear exhaust. For something different i have replaced the VT front brakes with VE front brakes which have brought the wheels in approximateley 10 to 13 mm c/o my step brother who is making kits to suit early holdens. The car is current in getting the wiring done for the computer so i expect to be able to start it shortly. Will keep you all posted.
regards brett

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 08:12:17 PM »

Hi Brett
Your car is looking good, keep the photo's coming.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
propig2003

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »

just a short note, i was running a turbo 350 in my ute along with a 400 chev. setup now changed to 4/71 blown 350. tunnel was original when conversion done back in the 80's, now with updated info played in no small part to mark shearer of shearer bros. race cars, original tunnel is not adequate enuff for cooling around the auto. hope it doesnt fry. might b betta being safe than sorry, dude
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52:31 PM »

propig2003 The stall are you running in the converter has to be considered in the equation, we all know that a big stall will create a huge amount of heat and heat is the main reason for failure of the transmition also available are the HI TEK BM coolers with fan mounted that seem to work well......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
propig2003

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 05:14:05 AM »

as well as the angle of the tailshaft which could put extra pressure on the front uni. there is a lot to consider when deciding to stay with the standard tunnel
cruiser056
qld-club

cruisin to the rock and roll

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 07:49:06 AM »

Hi, Very nice car!!!  All the time and work will pay off when you first drive it.  It will definately be a head turner, for sure.  Can't wait for more pics.

All the best

Michael
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »

Propig,
Thanks for your concerns but all things have and were considered. There is plenty of room around the gear box. The exhaust is away from the box and i have a large trans cooler fitted. The angle of the motor is safe for the tailshaft and this is evident in previous photos, However if you also look at the photos i am running a two piece tailshaft. I dont know what you did with your vehicle but i have never had over heating issues with large boxes in small cars. I have had numerous LJ toranas fitted with 308 and small block chev motors with turbo 400 boxes and large stall converters with no over heating problems providing they are adequately cooled. Problems happen when you listen to people who have no clue themselves. If you were using the original FC or HR front end i believe the angle of your motor using a turbo 400 and standard tunnel would be too great causing major problems which you obviously had.
Regards Brett
propig2003

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »

glad to hear it
FE350

Old holdens never die they just get faster!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »

Very very nice work and great ideas brett_f, looks like it will be the best handling fc around,, is the LH torrie front the same track (outter hub to hub) as the fc?
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »

Thanks FE350.
The Torana front end is approximately 18mm wider each side. However, the new VE brakes bring it closer to the FC width leaving about 8mm wider each side than the FC.
Regards
Brett
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »

i always thought that commodore rotors pused the wheels out further, or is it because they are the VE ones ? useing the torana front does this sit the cat lower, in yor pics does the car have standard type springs or lowered thanks
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »

Ratbox,
The VE brakes have had the hubs modified to allow the wheel to sit in further (approx 10-13 mm). The front springs are slightly lowered to give the height that i wanted. For those following this build i started the motor for the first time yesterday and the twin system sounds fantastic.Nothing quite like the sound of a V8. The only hiccup was that the new radiator leaked from the tank seal. Not happy.
regards Brett
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »

thanks i'm thinking of doing the same front end in an EK
slack one

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »

nice ride. iput a lh torana f/end under my fj.i am going to use the f/end  under another car.need to know where to get adt to fit ve disc.thanks gary 
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »

Gary,
send me your phone number and i will get my step brother to call you regarding the VE brake set up and cost.
regards Brett
slack one

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »

hi. brett my mobile no is 0401576179.thanks gary.
slack one

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »

hi brett. your step brother rang me and i am going to meet in soon and see how it all works for my car.thanks for your help gary.
Chris5.7ltr

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »

Love the build so far!

This is the first time I have seen someone use a Torana front end but it makes sense already having the Rack N pinion steering and pretty good handleing.

Did you narrow the Commodore diff?

Love your work, keep the updates coming!
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »

Chris 5.7,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes the commodore diff was shortened by Mc Donald bros who i would never use again due to poor workmanship but that is best left for another day. For those who are interested the FC Car Club is having a garage run in the western suburbs to inspect a few cars which includes mine. For those that are interested in the mods i have done to the vehicle, you are most welcome to attend. The date i believe has been set for the 23rd November.Please keep a watch on the site or news letter for the time and address.
Regards brett 
kramsv8

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »

looks great brett  Cool
love your work
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: