FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 01:25:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake drums  (Read 4081 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2008, 02:55:39 PM »

Anybody out there got any tips on removing old seized up brake drums, i'm walking away for a while before i chuck a wobbly and break something( probably me), I've had hard ones before but this one just won't budge Huh Angry

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:12:49 PM »

Pedro, I assume you have backed off the adjustment through the backing plate ?, if not & as the wheel cylinders and shoes will probably need replacing anyway, spray a generous amount of WD40 or similar through the brake adjustment holes.

I had this problem recently and it loosend up the adjusters so I could back off the adjustment, then a few smart taps with a lump hammer around the edges of the drum & it came off.

Good luck with it, I like the look of your wagons & shed by the way.

PS Practise the adjusment on a wheel with the drum already removed to ensure you adjust in right direction.

Gary
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »

The same as Zule re the backing off of the brakes and ensure that each drum is easy to turn, that you haven't tightened the adjustment and now have the brakes binding preventing the drum from being removed.

If this still hasnt solved the problem then tap around the axle flange where the centre of the brake drum locates on the axle. Sometimes this rusts and by tapping the drum this can loosen the rust allowing removal of the brake drum.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »

Thanks Zulu, Effcee, this wagon has been out in the weather for years and the problem is the adjusters are rusty too, I haven't been able to budge them yet and i just ran out of WD, I will have to get some more tomorrow, I think it must be beer o'clock anyway Cheesy

F4+
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »

Pedro,

Hopefully you have got enough WD on the adjuster to help loosen the adjuster overnight. I have found Inox or Yield better than WD40 at looseneing seized components. Try either, it might just make the difference.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »

dont hit the axle and mushroom it over but, or you will have hell getting it off, sometimes if its a old rusty housing thats been down the back yard for 20 years you get to a point were you decide to scrap the drum and use all forces and the drum comes of as a peice of broken twisted metal.

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:55:57 PM »

Pedro,

Were you able to get the drums off?

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:49:56 PM »

Thanks for the support guys but i haven't been able to get back to it yet, had a big family mothers day weekend and when it was over i just wanted to sit back and relax with a coldie, will probably get back to it tomorrow.

F4+
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »

Still haven,t gotten back to it, been having fun drilling out the rivets on seven bumpers Roll Eyes

F4+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: