FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 09, 2024, 07:18:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC wagon  (Read 66668 times)
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 06:45:35 PM »

Hi John,very nice looking station sedan.Excuse my ignorance but did you mention somewhere what the greys are?Is it Wangarra/Ascot grey?I have a sedan in those colours.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 08:43:14 PM »

That's correct Jamie.

She was built in February 1959, Engine number L540520.

Among the info I received with her is the little blue cardboard card headed "Driving Instructions and Manufacturers Warranty", a quaint "Good Housekeeping" booklet and a booklet headed "Traffic Regulations of Kerr's School of Motoring". The booklet has an FC on the cover. You can phone them at Warwick 1428 Grin.

I also received a photo of the day of the release of the 48/215 at Shelley Motors in Warwick, where Thelma was purchased. I will scan the photo and post it.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »

Mine comes up as built in March 1959 with engine number L549821 with Riff red and black interior although I can't pick the difference between that and the Fall Red and black interior of my Black FC.

customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »

Hey customFC dig the little green smileys, how did you do it Huh

Hey Pedro.
Stolen from another site and added as pics.

Hey John.
Sorry to hear the car won't be at Berrima.
Can't wait to see it.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:43:52 PM by customFC » Logged

Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »

now that I've got the wagon. One of my, so called, mates saw it and immediately told me he knew the colours. Since he knows sfa about Holdens I asked how he knew. He told me it's easy, dark primer over light primer Angry

Cheers
John

LMAO!! Grin Grin
Still looking foward to seeing it Wink

Johns

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »

Patience, Grasshopper Wink

She will registered today Les, hopefully she will be out on the 15th.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 04:52:02 AM »

In the light of recent developments, my last post was wishful thinking Embarrassed

Thelma has been off the road for around 12 years and looks as though she hadn't seen much use for longer than that.

The recommissioning went smoothly enough, new handbrake cable, engine mounts, nsf king pin, rear shocks, tyres, pretty much the usual.

The motor had a miss in it, which we fixed with correct timing and made up some new black plug leads ( can't stand those blue horrors on old cars). The original motor seemed fine, it was quiet, if a bit fumey.

As we were wondering about the fumes we noticed there seemed to be some moisture coming out of the breather. A leak down test confirmed a problem in No 2 cylinder. So off with her head to fix the gasket. No 2 was a problem alright, there is a chunk missing from the piston top, no wonder the compression was low and the plug a bit oily.

To avoid another rebuild that morphs into another resto, particularly since Nev, my FE, isn't finished, we decided to repair number two and since the bores looked ok, slip a new set of rings in.

That was until we took the others out. Five of the six pistons have broken rings and it is clear a rebuild is the only sensible thing to do. These are tough old engines, the only real give away that all was not well was a slight low rev misfire. If I'd started to drive it the damage could have been much worse.

I have been gathering parts to build a warm grey motor and I did think about it but I've decided Thelma isn't the right car for this, I'll probably do this to my EJ.

While we're there we'd better tidy up the engine bay a bit. The rear pinion bearing in the diff is a bit noisy as well, so I suppose with a new engine I may as well put a taller diff in..........

You know how it goes Tongue

Cheers
John

Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »

Move over Nev, we've got another resto on the way Wink

Beryl isn't the jealous type is she? She trusts Nev right? Grin

customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »

Hey John
Sorry to hear the new wagon is playing up.
I guess you will be able to feel a bit more comfort knowing the motor has had some attention for those long cruises.
Regards
Alex

Johns

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »

Ken,

Here are the ID plate details:

229-13079-A
254 658
253 7773
253 5300

Chassis No FC 14384B
Engine No L540520

regards
John

Johns

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure whether this is of much interest, nevertheless here is a photo of the three worst pistons from Thelma:

It's hard to see here but the middle one is No2, the first No 4 and the last one, No 3, isn't damaged but has no compression ring left. Goodness knows where it went Huh

Compression was 110, 87, 95, 90, 115, 120.

As I said earlier it ran really well despite this damage.

regards
John

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »

certainly very interesting John,

No compression ring...

any shrapnel in the sump?

what would cause the pistons in a stock motor go bang? detontation?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »

Hmmm,where can/does a compression ring go....? Huh.I just can't get my head around that....

simins
vic-club

Our Toys

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »

Out through the exhaust system ?  Sorry couldnt help that.  cant work out how to put smiley faces on the end of comment
                              Simon Addison
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 01:04:03 AM »

Left off by a dozey apprentice mechanic in the past???

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »

Probably broken by someone when fitting new rings. "she'll be right nobody will notice"

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 07:07:57 PM »

Hee Hee...But seriously,once it's in the bore how can it get out?It's not like there's a lot of room between the piston skirt and the bore wall.Or has it degraded and broken down into tiny pieces? Huh

Johns

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »

Hi all.

Thelma arrived back from her spruce up today. When we took the engine out, as you can imagine, the engine bay was a mess. As I did (do) not want this to become another resto, Glenn at Hughes and Gibson again worked his magic, he pressure washed the engine bay, rubbed it down, carefully masked it up and applied some satin black.

I think it looks great and is fairly sympathetic with the rest of the car. It appears that at least half the paint is original, so it was very carefully buffed and brushed touched. The wheels were badly surface rusted, so these were painted. Lastly I added some whitewall 185/80 13 radials (Maxxis) to give it a lift and make it pleasant to drive.

The rebuilt and detailed engine was re-installed today. It is a fairly basic rebuild, 40 thou oversize, bearrings, hardened valve seats, new everything else.

Before we knew the engine was crook, we had rebulit practically the whole front end including the crossmember bushes. It has new shocks and out back new shackle rubbers and U bolts. The originals were corroded. The diff is a bit noisy and I intend to fit a 3.55 shortly.

From 20 feet she looks great and should drive well. I haven't driven her since I bought her in May so am looking forward to it. I now need to thoroughly clean and detail the interior. Its worn but fairly good. The biggest problem are the window rubbers, they are all shot. I really shouldn't replace them unless I paint her, which I wont do. I may bite the bullet and just replace them, if they have to come out again later too bad.

Here are some photos. I will post an engine bay "before" photo tomorrow.

Cheers
John

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »

Looks great John.Did any other paintwork get redone?
Cheers,
Graham
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »

Does looks greyt Cheesy John, can't wait to see it
Cheers, Gary
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up