FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:34:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: thought i might share my project with the fellows  (Read 99973 times)
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »

im using a combination of the 2, i used part of the original neck so i can use an older style cap, and part of the lower neck, the guy who soldered it up for me also incorporated as a restrictor for splash back which is just above the large breather and the breather and overflow vents. i also used the bent section near the top of the commodore neck in between the 2 original sections to get the angle right, took a little bit of fiddling around as i did all the trial fitting at home then took the tank in. the new sheet metal is 2.5 mm.

you can just see the welds between the 2 sections here, i also had to modify the boot latch slightly as it would foul on the new pipe. as mine is being set up for efi i will solder the breather hole closed in the new cap. i have got to put a new sender unit in from the top of the tank now to match up with new fuel gauge Undecided Undecided
there are some nice looking filler caps (aero style) you can get from earls plumbing but these were way out of my  budget

cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
sexyfc

Model: FC

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »

Instead of changing the fuel sender unit, try ringing howard instruments in Heidelberg and ask them if the gauge can be calibrated to suit your sender. I will be using the original commodore sender as i'll be running autometer gauges. Do you know if you can get nice looking fuel caps for the commodore tank?

Project started 16/01/08.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 12:28:19 PM »

i want to run a speco fuel gauge and when i spoke tothem they said their gauge is only compatible with their senders, though he did say something similar to what you sugessted. we have a gauge repair place here in canberra so i might ask them, just have to weigh up the costs involved. but its worth a try.
as far as the caps go i couldnt find anything suitable due to the commy neck being a screw in as all of them are hidden behind a door . the caps i spoke about are similar to motior bike filler caps in they have a retainer ring, however you will need to adapt this to your neck, when i spoke to the tech standards guys in canberra about this very same situation i sugessted that i wanted to just use approved rubber tubing to match up the 2 they weren't too happy about that idea but it may pay to ask your rego office.
and you could also use the bike filler caps as you are still doing body work, mine was painted when i decided to change tanks Undecided you can pick up the necks and a small section of sheet metal around them for about $100 at most bike wreckers. all you have to do then is cut out a section on your beaver panel and weld in the new one.
i wanted to retain a more original look from the rear so after much stuffing around and looking i decided on my current path.

any more questions just ask away.
dean

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »

there are some nice looking filler caps (aero style) you can get from earls plumbing but these were way out of my  budget

Try a motorcycle wreckers, I have a nice looking "aviation style" filler that is destined for my currently shelfed Torana project.

sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

Good ideas fellas. Might try the bike wrecker for a cap.

sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:43 PM »

Just bought the motor bike fuel cap assembly from the wrecker. $100. Just made more work for my self! Car was supposed to go to panel beaters this week! Undecided

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »

well done, that didnt take you long Grin Grin
its not a hard job i would have done the same but as i said the car was freshly painted and i relly did not want to cut into it Tongue Tongue

good luck, post up some pics when you've put it in please.

cheers
dean

sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »

no probs will do..

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

Some nice fabrication work there Grant.Particularly like the crossmembers.Keep up the good work.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 10:10:44 PM »

Hi, just like to share my excitement with everybody that SEXYFC is going to get her body done and painted!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin
what a time!!!
cheers
john  Grin Grin

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 10:17:40 PM »

woohoo happy times, what colour have you got in mind or are you going to keep us in suspense?Huh

how'd your fuel cap go?

have you rung howard instruments yet? i spoke to the guy in canberra and he said it cant be done.... wasnt really intrested as he only sells VDO stuff and says that they send theirs to sydney but id be interested in hearing what they have to say.
the guys at speco say that the commodore sender can be modified!

cheers
dean

sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »

The fuel cap im going to let the panel beater put that in for me, im leaning towards a blue with white flashing but still unsure. I had a dream that my car came back from painter this horrible green colour and i was cursing that i spent all this money and it turned out like that... Shocked Shocked Shocked maybe im just thinking too much about the old girl.. as for your sender problem i will ring howards for you tommorow.

cheers john

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »

hi john, i spoke to howard instruments today and they were really very helpful. i have now decided to get them to modify the VN sender unit so it is compatible with the FC  0-30 ohm gauge. it actually will work out cheaper than getting a speco.

i'll be getting it down to them in the next week or so i hope.

thanks for the idea.
dean

NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »

Hi John

You've expressed your dream (nightmare) verbally now - so if all those old wive's tales are correct - it won't happen!  Smiley 

Or, in the current coaching/mentoring world that we live in, is it that it will happen because you have visualised it?  Huh

Phew! Exciting times for you  Grin

Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »

No probs dean thought they may help..
cheers john

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

John,

Well done, it is always a great milestone to some paint on the car as that ultimately means the body work is done. Yee haa. You will have to post photos and keep us updated.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »

always keep the crew updated..
Kathi your right when you say that something going to happen and it doesn't after you speak of it.. maybe i shouldn't tell anybody of whats happening with the beast Shocked 

sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »

Painted the engine and added some accessories to it

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »

Very nice engine/motor John should look awesome in the car.

Dean.
sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »

Thanks dean, i have to order a longer belt for it, as you can see.. When i bought the kit they dont give you the option for a longer belt

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: