FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 07:20:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bolts  (Read 2521 times)
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »

Does anybody know a source for silver zinc coated bolts and nuts.  Do I have to get them plated myself.  A lot of bolts and nuts I have removed during  restoration have surface rust on them.  What do other people do - fit zinc plated bolts or paint them black or the appropriate colour for the location?  I would prefer to have the look as it came out of the factory.  Any other alternatives?

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Sideplate
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:20:28 AM »

Does anybody know a source for silver zinc coated bolts and nuts.  Do I have to get them plated myself.  A lot of bolts and nuts I have removed during  restoration have surface rust on them.  What do other people do - fit zinc plated bolts or paint them black or the appropriate colour for the location?  I would prefer to have the look as it came out of the factory.  Any other alternatives?

Keith

Keith,
          I re-did all mine getting them plated, also the scuff plates and it cost me stuff all.  Mind you Im as far down Vic as you will probably get..... they came up really well also would definately do it again.
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:19:59 AM »

Keith,

For best results close to factory finish, sandblast all bolts and brackets before having them silver zinc plated, it's cheap.If you don't get all rust and grease off the finish is poor. In any event its pretty "salty", if you have highly visible bolts, brake lines and brackets, buff them up first and you will get a shinier finish.

Time consuming and laborious but it looks great.

Re your crayon marks, if you are doing a resto, I would avoid painting that panel, otherwise you obliterate the car's history.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: