FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 12:11:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brakes Locking up  (Read 2752 times)
Sam Muscat

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »

My Rear right hand brakes locks up on application on my FC, but than releases when you take off again.
I have checked the wheel cylinder and seemed to bit sticking and not releasing, so I backed of the brake but has made no difference.
Has anyone got any ideas?
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »

Sounds like the wheel cylinder .........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »

is the car driven everyday or sit around, did it happen just after degreasing underneath or the wheels, if you get a film of rust on the linings the brakes grab harder till the rust goes away. also i guess you have already made sure everything is sitting in place correctly. are all the brakes working ok on the over wheels, i cant see how a wheel cylinder can make it lock up, but it could make it stay on if the rubber is swelled or bore is marked or dirty

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »

It's almost certainly the wheel cylinders as FC427 says. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and crystallises inside the wheel cylinder and wont allow the piston to retract properly. I would reco both rear wheel cylinders and check the fronts as well if these have not been renewed. The only other thing to check is the return springs which can lose tension. They should require all your effort to remove and install if you use a vise grip or the like.  Also do a fluid flush to remove all water from the brake lines and master cylinder.

Ken
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »

Smiley
I'm no expert on this but I had a similar problem with the front before I went to Disc. The problem with locking "could" be that the lining is glazed over.(Has a hard shiny coating ) Grab some coarse wet and dry (or emery paper) and clean the glaze off and try the brakes again.Failing that then take the previous advice and have the wheel cylinder(s) reconditioned.

Hope tis helps
Rusty
Sam Muscat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »

Thank you to all that replied, I will take all of that in consideration.  If I do need to recon the wheel cylinders who would you recommend.  Are there kits still available or are they an exchange item.
thank you
Sam
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »

Wheel cyls are sleeved with stainless steel to original size and usually they do yours for you over a couple of days unless they have a changeover set. Cups are readily available but I would suggest the sleeving as mandatory to eliminate further trouble.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: