FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:28:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: It has begun,but will it continue...?  (Read 424524 times)
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 30, 2012, 10:03:22 AM »

Dunno about red rims but white flippers would set it off.

Stash
nsw-club

Model: FC

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 30, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »

i reckon red rims would look the part, and whitewalls.
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »

Good one Jamie you beat us all Cool, I still reckon she looks better than brand new, enjoy your cruising.
               Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 31, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »

Congratulations Jamie.  It looks really nice and you should be rightly proud of your efforts.
 When you have finished a restro all the memories of the hard work seems to vanish when you start driving the car.
 Enjoy using the car.

Keith 

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 31, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »

Well done Jamie looks good Cool

Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 31, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »

Just in time for the Spring weather. Looks fantastic.  A lot of time, skun knuckles and swearing to get there, I am sure but add me to the list of jealous members who wish that theirs was even as half as good.  Enjoy it.

Jase

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: August 31, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »

Whitewalls would set it off Jamie...just can't picture what it would look like with Kathi's suggestion Tongue Kiss.
Just do some research on the cross plies....have heard they are not real flash handling wise.

Dean.
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 31, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »

I think this is what Kathi means

Cheers Stewy   Cool

(hope you dont mind Kathi)

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 31, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »

Thanks all and thanks Stewy.I actually stole some pictures of Kathis' FE off the forum about 5 years ago which gave me the inspiration to get on with Black FC but thankyou anyway and now everyone else can see what we're talking about  Wink .It's a very cool looking car.  Cool

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »

no problems at Stewy and thanks Jamie

I must that when I changed to this look some 14 years ago, IMHO, it made all the difference with my car - I loved my car before but when these went on I was absolutely stoked..........

Whatever you decide to do Jamie I know you will think your sh!t doesn't stink every time you look at it and your face will hurt as much as mine does from grinning non-stop

you too will come to love overcast or wet days and dusk - cos that's when they really look good!

aaaah black cars gotta love 'em and gotta love cleaning 'em.............constantly!  Grin

NosFEratu
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

Just looked back through your build Jamie,

Great work you have done there.

from rusty to gem.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »

Thanks Ed although i guess most rebuilds are like that.I'll take the praise though... Wink Spent last Saturday putting the 3.55 diff centre in and changing the rear uni and I'll admit I'm a little out of touch (has been about 7 years since I've had to replace a uni) but eventually remembered some of the tricks.Have now got a few issues to attend to.Went for a cruise to the local supermarket to get some stuff for tea and thought "before I lock it,I better just make sure it still unlocks with the key"...which it did.Went in got the food,came out,wouldn't unlock!!!I'm guessing because there was some extra pressure applied somewhere that wasn't there when I tried the lock with the door open.Anyway,luckily the passenger side unlocked so just slid across that big bench seat and we're back in business!!!That's the first thing.Secondly,nice day on Monday and was super excited to take the FC for it's first trip to work.Started perfectly,ran ok for the first couple minutes then I heard a squealing noise coming from the dizzy then she started running real rough then eventually died.Starts and idles for a bit but won't rev,sounds like it's choking itself.Looked in the dizzy and there is a brown dust which is either a rust dust or fibre off the points block (no marks whatsoever in the cap from anything scraping or grinding).It looks like the mechanical advance may be jammed up or is pulling up under revs but as yet I have not had time to check it out.Had to get the missus to tow me home which was reasonably disappointing on it first trip to work and especially as it ran all weekend without a hitch.I am now wondering wether I have been chasing this fault since the engine went in and may have also been giving me the trouble with the twins??I'll let you know what I find as it may be usefull information to others.Cheers,Jamie.

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: September 07, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »

Hope you get it sorted Jamie, probably be some little thing  Wink

Dean.
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 09, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »

Hi all,now I need some help!!!Finally got to look at the FC today,pulled out the dizzy to find that the points fibre block was worn off to the point of very little to no points operation which is my fault as I cleaned it all out nicely before reassemble but didn't lube up the cam on the dizzy shaft.The mechanical advance was also noisy when you spin it so I changed the whole dizzy over for one that came out of my double green FC.Started it up and idled real smooth but still will not rev.Checked the timing...perfect....Thought,it must still be a carby issue.Changed the carby back over to a cleaned and re-kitted one that was also the original carby off the car.Started it up,nice idle and revved albeit not real clean.Took it for a quick drive down the road and was going ok at about 90kph then suddenly lost all power and started "popping" out the exhaust as it was decelerating.Pulled over and died.Restarts no problem but back to same problem of will not rev.Was just about to call the missus and thought I'll just try pulling the choke all the way out and try starting.Started,ran, took off and got all the way home no probs but obviously revving it's tits off because choke is out.I don't get it.Have I got two carbies with problems or am I looking at something else.Never had this trouble before with my Holden sixes so now I'm a bit lost.Any ideas????Any help greatly appreciated. Huh Huh Huh

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 10, 2012, 05:16:57 AM »

What Coil are you running i had similar issues a few weeks ago but i was running aftermarket electronic ign

maybe check your coil is not breaking down under load and check its just a plain jane 12V coil.

see if the Vaccum line to the advance isnt blocked or something silly. Huh

good luck

pete

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 10, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »

Sounds to me like you may have some crap or water in your fuel Jamie, I've had a similar problem in the past every time you clean the carb and get it running right it just sucks up some more shit, have you cleaned the tank since the rebuild are you running a filter in the fuel line.
              Pedro

F4+
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »

Pedro could be right Jamie, I have also had big issues with the petrol tank in the Ambo and my Wagon, despite spending a fair amount of time making sure both tanks were clean before installing them

We found that the pick up line inside the tank must have been partially blocked, car would go along ok but when you needed extra grunt it would fizzle out, stop by the side of the road, wait a while, start of again, then it would play up and same again

Might be worth getting someone to have a listen at the filler while you blow some air down the line, we did this and it felt like the air wasn't getting through, then whooska, sounded like a blockage had cleared itself

Big Gary

OldGMHolden
« Reply #497 on: September 10, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »

I once had a very unusual fuel blockage in an FB.
Only when cold, the motor would run for 1 or 2 miles then stop. No fuel in carby.
If I filled the carby bowl with petrol, the motor would run well until I stopped overnight, then the same problem.
I couldn't fault anything, and this went on for weeks, making for one very pissed-off Gaz.
Then once, while pulling the inlet pipe off the pump, I saw what looked like a small ball bearing in the fitting on the flexible hose.
It turned out to be a little silver-grey lizard about 3" long!!! No bullshit!!!
When the pump had to work hard, he would get sucked up into the flex hose, and his nose would block off the angled brass fitting.
The carby would then run dry.
If the carby was full, the required flow was low enough that he would not get sucked up.
THIS IS A TRUE STORY.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is that there may be a blockage in your pickup or fuel pipe.
(Thanks to Big Gary for reminding me of that one.)

Cheers,
Ol'Gaz.
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »

It turned out to be a little silver-grey lizard about 3" long!!! No bullshit!!!
Grin

Must be something to do with FB/EK's, one of the problems i was refering to was with the EK we had a few years ago, when i got it on the road it would run fine until you gave it a bit and then it would just die, replaced carby, filter, fuel pump blew out the lines nothing fixed it and it drove me nuts trying to figure it out, turned out to be a tiny dead beetle stuck in the brass fitting where the fuel line attached to the tank,.
                           Pedro

F4+
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »

Hi all,I really appreciate all your input and your ideas got me thinking about what it could be and don't I feel like a dumbass!!!Originally I had a red motor fuel pump on the grey which had the Brass filter in it but it was leaking and playing up so I changed it for a donated blue motor one which I don't think have the filter in it.Anyway,long story short I pulled the carby apart tonight and tipped the fuel out on a white cloth and here it is...

Completely choked with sh*t!!Mostly big pieces of silicon which must have come from the pump as there is none on or in anything before it.So I cleaned it all out,reassembled it,installed an in-line filter...

Took it for a cruise and all sorted.Also found out why they made finned rocker covers....

Cheesy
So thankyou all for your input,very simple problem overlooked.Also fixed the door locks tonight and after struggling to remove the door trim on drivers door so I could spray some CRC in there,found out that if you unscrew the knob and squirt the CRC down the hole in the direction of the mechanism it will have the same effect.Thanks again.Jamie.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: