FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 05:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 173/186 engines  (Read 4078 times)
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2002, 05:57:16 AM »

Can I bolt a 173/186 engine into my ute without having to do any modifications?
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 07:15:23 AM »

no not really.

assuming you have a grey motor that is. the red motor has two mounts on either side that bolt to mounts on the cross member, whereas the grey motor has a mount at the front, and 2 mounts on the gearbox or rear of the engine from memory.

so you would need to get some mounts fabricated in the right position on your cross member, or upgrade to an HR disc brake front end (you have to relocate the mounts if you do this anyway).

also the three speed gearboxes were strengthened for the red motor, so bolting on a grey motor gearbox might not be advisable either.

you might consider upgrading your gearbox at the same time, this is not too hard to do, and there are several kits available that let you bolt on different boxes to the red.

simon
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2002, 09:54:29 PM »

Mooky,

In NSW you can install a 138 red or 149 without upgrading to disc brakes or getting an engineer's certificate.  CraigA's car has been modified in this way.

Note that as Simon said you'll still need to get the engine mounts on the cross-member to support the red motor.

You have to weigh up how you want to use the car with how original or authentic you want it to be.  If it's a daily driver and you are going to go to the trouble of fitting a red, I would recommend getting discs as well.  They're a bolt-on proposition (and you can keep your original king-pin x-member should you ever decide to revert the car back to original), and you won't know yourself in the stopping department!  There is an article on our Tech Info section about fitting a HR front end.

A grey crash-box will go OK behind a 149.  Wouldn't recommend it behind a 186 though, unless you're very gentle on first gear!

Hope that's some help.  I'm pretty sure the rules are the same in Queensland.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
craiga
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 08:45:20 AM »

Mooky,

Here is a picture of my 149 powered FC's engine bay.

The car is basically stock except for the addition of the RED Motor (brakes/gearbox/radiator are original) and does not need to be engineered (NSW). The car is slightly more powerful :-/ but I wouldn't call it a major threat to the WRX brigade  Wink

Only problems have been with a broken second gear synchro due to an over enthusiastic 1st to 2nd gear change and minor overheating which was solved with a good quality thermo and a reco radiator.

Cheers,

Craig.
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 10:46:50 AM »

Thanks very much for the advice fellas.  I think I will stick to the trusty grey.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2002, 12:08:17 AM »

"If it's not broke, don't fix it" Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: