FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 07:39:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone fitted HQ/WB rear disc brakes  (Read 6932 times)
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »

Hello All,

I am wanting to upgrade my fe ute from HR brakes, discs front and rear drum to HQ/WB disc front and rear. I have read some forums where you replace the stubs to HQ/WB with disc and capillars. Will have to change mags to 15's and also correct new stud pattern. Has anyone done this conversion?

Best Regards,
David Anderson.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:14:34 PM »

Hi David,

if you're changing all round, perhaps you may want to consider commodore brakes and stud pattern front and rear?

then you can shorten a commo disc rear which would be equally as strong (or stronger?)than an HZ disc rear and easier to find, not to mention a wider selection of wheels.

converting a std banjo to disc would be money wasted and difficult as it sounds like you may be chasing more power in the future.

for the front end, there are numerous adaptor kits around, so shouldnt be a prob.

ask Ken at hoppers stoppers.
http://www.hoppers.com.au

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:18:29 PM »

I like that this new site tells you some one has posted a reply, saved me a heap of typing.

Cheers jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »

Check out Hoppers Stoppers web site, every question you ever wanted to know about early Holden brakes is answered there. My only advice  - Don't put it all together with the aim putting HQ rims on your car.

Ken
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:42:03 PM »

Called hoppers. They want 1300 for the front and another 1300 for the rear. I see your point about the commodore wheels. Very good idea. I will call a couple of wreakers for a disc to disc conversion on the rear. Can you fit commodore studs to a hr front end or do you need a custom conversion kit from someone like hoppers. The wreaker here in perth has a HQ front disc brake setp up with studs for 250 or he is happy to exchange with my hr setup. sounds interesting. Has anyone done rear discs here?

David
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:41:12 PM »

David,

You're up for some dollars either way you go unfortunately.
The wrecker may have a $250 set up, however once you factor in machining (and possible replacement) of discs, rebuilding of calipers, new pads, brake hoses, bearings and all those bits and pieces the $1300 for a kit which has been put together using new bits (or reco'd where necessary) exactly for your application looks quite attractive. 

Of course this decision also depends on your skills, knowledge and access to parts, machinists etc.  If you're going for commode stud pattern you will need to change to the commode rotors and brakes... never heard of somebody redrilling blank HR rotors if at all possible.

Glenn (FC-V8) had rear discs on his wagon...
Rear disc can be achieved by obtaining a comm diff and shortening to correct length and welding on the saddle plates, again you're up for some dollars to get things welded here if you dont do it yourself.

I've got a hoppers rear disc kit on my wish list, not entirely necessary but nice to have...   The wagon stops nicely using HQ discs and drum rear,  but the wheel choices are limited.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

Ed you are spot on. It is a nice to have. I already have the ht booster and master cylinder with duel circut brakes. But if i put more power which intend to do want to get teh brakes done first.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 06:56:01 PM »

What exactly do you want to achieve?  How much money do you want / are you allowed to spend?

You can fit HQ brakes and have blank rotors drilled in either early Holden or Commodore stud pattern. Just don't stay with HQ pattern as HQ wheels will not go under the guards. Hoppers kits offer superior braking but maybe you don't need better than HQ brakes.  I agree with shortening a Commodore diff - VL onwards V8 diff is pretty strong and a lot cheaper than 9 inch.

Ken
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 10:57:40 PM »

Hi Ken, I don't really have a budget at the moment as I am more in planning the braking system and then working towards it.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »

OK - well; what engine do you plan to run in the future? This could be a determining factor in the decision making.

Ken
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:33:05 AM »

Just don't stay with HQ pattern as HQ wheels will not go under the guards.

Is this when using the HQ stub axle?

I'm using HQ GTS wheels which just fit, however you wont get much more than 185 / 60s on a lowered front.  (HR drum stub with caliper bracket and HQ rotors).
Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »

Yeah, I think the drum stub conversion from CRS has a slightly narrower track than the HQ disc stub axles. Another way to get extra clearance is to use the P76 rotors and bearing kit on the HQ stub axles

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: