FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:31:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR Front X-member  (Read 4253 times)
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2002, 01:04:23 PM »

Hi Team,

I need some guidance on the setting up of the front x-member.

My FC was bought as a rolling shell, axles attached but not properly.  I've done the rear, having installed a HR rear axle.  But for the front x-member (HR, disc brake) I read in the FC manual about the procedure to install the x-member mounting bolts, different lengths etc, adjusting until the right amount of compression of the rubbers is achieved.....and that's ok.  

In the HR manual, the procedure appears to be quite a lot simpler.  Also, I have no guarantee that the sleeves that were installed (roughly) to the rolling shell are of the original (FC or HR) or appropriate lengths.  

If this setting up is so critical for castor/camber adjustments when I get the wheels aligned (eventually), how do I go about ensuring a proper adjustment when mixing the FC and HR bits together??

I know that MANY have gone before me in this particular endeavour....what is the way to enlightenment??

Brad
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 11:33:13 AM »

C'mon guys, don't be shy now.........!!
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2002, 09:42:15 AM »

Hi there, seems like you may have everyone stumped.
Shocked.(sorry guys).My understanding is that the spacers are the same, but there are some rubbers that are from fe fc king pin front that are not needed.Dont quote me on this though.There is some info on this in the techinfo section of the web site.Ill try and look into this further if you like.Sorry for being a bit vague on the subject.
CHEERS......BRAD

1959 Black Std sedan
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2002, 09:44:32 AM »

PS.. Grin                                                                                                                                                                                I will check the lengths of my spacers and let you know.
Hopefully this helps.

1959 Black Std sedan
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2002, 12:40:20 PM »

Hey Brad,

thanks for this....any additional info appreciated....

regards.....Brad W
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2002, 06:33:42 PM »

I think that for better anti-dive under braking the front end should be tilted forward slightly(I hope its not backward?Huh?) so why not set up your spacers etc. to suit?
There should be enough room for alignment/adjustments whichever way you go.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 10:10:36 AM »

There are 2 ways to go here - either use all the FC bolts bushes and rubbers exactly as per the manual OR use the simpler HR set up in its entirety set up as per the manual.  As a rule of thumb - if the suspension is mounted correctly, the outrigger rubber should fit neatly into place without either pushing too hard down or up.
Assuming it has been fitted onto the HR crossmember correctly as well!!!
If the suspension is mounted either tilted too far back or forward, the wheel alignment place will tell you they cannot achieve the castor angle setting, and will advise you which way you need to tilt the suspension to get it right so this also helps.
Obviously the old practise of dropping the front to the weeds and leaving the rear up high stuffs up castor angle completely and messes up steering effectiveness.
Hope this helps
Ken
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2002, 12:55:10 PM »

Ken,

thanks for this info...this is what I needed.

I don't have any confidence in the originality of any of the bolts/bushes currently installed, but I have just bought a HR donor car and if all else fails I will "steal" the bolts etc from that one (I was going to keep the front crossmember from that one as a spare anyway before I trash the body...)

It should be possible to get something from the subframe dimension diagram to measure whether the outrigger is installed correctly (I would have thought) so I'll check that too...

thanks again....Brad

(Have I said it before?... this is a great forum!!!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: