FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 05:31:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: LX torana stubs and brakes on HR Front?  (Read 6730 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:46:38 AM »

Is it possible to use LX torana stub axles on an HR front end?  

If so, would this drop the ride height by around1 inch?

The advantages I see is that you can use the much thicker LX rotor that is available in a vetilated/slotted form.

Any tricks involved, and what sort of Holden 13inch rims would suit?

I currently run all HR gear upfront, with everything reconditioned/replaced approx 1000 miles ago.

An LX set up is available to me - is it worth the swap?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 02:24:50 AM »

No, Torana stub axles have the wrong king pin inclination angle and will not allow you to get correct camber angle. Tyres will wear badly and handling is affected as well.
The Torana stubs will drop you nearly an inch and it will push the track out nearly an inch and all 13 inch wheels will work with Torana brakes.

If you absolutely MUST use 13 inch wheels then the best way to drop the front is with CRS stub axles which will lower the front about 3 inches and push the track out the same as a Torana stub axle would with LH-LX or even UC brakes on them. You will need to modify the crossmember and the upper control arm a little for clearance at full lock. But with the CRS stub axle the suspension geometry will be good. Using a heavy duty full length spring will lift the front up a bit if 3 inches is too low.

Ken
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:04:32 AM »

Fair enough Ken, very helpful as always.

Is it possible to use torana brakes on an HR stub?

Other than that I would consider 14inch wheels down the track, as 13inch in 205/65 style probably won't be around much longer.  My main concern would be retaining the hubcaps and having some HK/T/G rims widened to suit.

Whats the best option with 14inch early holden pattern in terms of rotor/caliper?

Appreciate your help.

regards
Dave
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 08:29:28 AM »

Smiley
Dave,

I have Torana Rotors and calipers on my FE. They are the vented type.I'll take a pic of them and post it up for a look.I also have 14" drag ways.There is a picture of the car in Real Members Cars under "Rusty's Cars".I'll still do the pic with the wheel off.

Cheers Rusty
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 09:30:38 AM »

Torana brakes will fit on HR stubs no problem.
Track is widened, height stays the same

Best option with 14 inch wheels is to use HK to WB stubs with P76 rotors and HZ calipers. Use HK/T/G steering arms
Track offset is only about quarter inch each side and you get 1 inch lower.

Ken
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:39:17 PM »

Ken, if HK-WB stubs, P76 rotors n HZ calipers used, what booster n master cylinder would you recommend?
Is the stud pattern  and stud length/diameter/thread on the P76 rotor same as FE-HG or is it necessary to buy blanks n get them drilled to suit FE-HG?
Dave; apologies for jumping in on your thread...
Cheers
Jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »

1 inch diameter master cylinder is all that is required.  This can be the stock master cylinder with a remote booster if your engineer will pass with your engine setup.
You can use XB Falcon with Gemini booster or HQ master with remote booster or Torana mastervac setup.  Really no limitation to ideas with master / booster application as long as it is 1 inch diameter.  Solutions will depend also on whether you are running a manual or an auto gearbox.

P76 rotors are in Ford pattern - so if you want anything else it has to be drilled from a blank.
This is a pretty expensive path to go down as blank rotors are expensive, then drilling and studding plus the bearing adapter kit plus HZ rotors are the most expensive of the HQ to WB series because they are the best.  You asked for the best setup but it is certainly not the cheapest.

Ken
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:51:56 AM »

Thanks, Ken. Really appreciate your expert advice.
Cheers
Jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: