FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WTB: Vt comm rad, condensor, AC parts.  (Read 4536 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:27:49 AM »

hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody is wrecking a VT comm or similar.

Am after radiator (to suit V8), condensor and fans.  Also AC parts such as drier, pressure switches and associated bits.. Don't need evaporator, I have one to try fit up.

Thought id try here before trawling the wrecking yards.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 05:08:07 AM »

Hey Ed,

Thermos you can get pretty easily from epay new for around $180 not sure what they are new from holden though. The radiator i used in mine I cut down to fit further forward.

Good luck mate.
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:51:31 PM »

Hey Jas,

thanks for the pic, luck is something I need plenty of.
I've got the rad out, and motor and box are also coming out for a changeover and some other fixups.

the evaporator / blower unit is proving very difficult to place.  the floor may need to be cut to mount it lower.. this will compromise rear passenger foot space however this is not too much concern as ai never have any passengers...

are your refrigerant lines rigid or flexible?

also trying to source a compressor with a V belt pulley (shouldnt be too hard).  

It should be possible to low mount my alternator and mount a compressor up high.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 10:09:30 AM »

Hey Ed,

My lines are flexible, however the aircond guy ran them very poorly... Not neat at all.

Jas.  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »

Hey Ed,

My lines are flexible, however the aircond guy ran them very poorly... Not neat at all.

Jas.  Grin

how unusual eh?

i'm feeling lucky though with the whole idea of the instal.. will keep you posted, have sourced almost everything I need, just deciding on a radiator upgrade or not...

on radiators... some late model comm radiators have no filler?  do you fill from the overflow bottle?

thx for the pics and advice.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »

Hey Ed,

You didn't look at my picture close enough. Tongue I put a filler in it, not sure how else to get the right amount. i used an old dryer and put a screw top in it for my overflow bottle. I don't think you can see it from the photo though.

From the front my order is aircond, radiator, then the thermo's with the first two fairly well hidden, I painted the aircond black before install, and putting the radaitor underneath was the only way to fit the thermo's.

Just rambling now...

Cheers
Jason.  Grin

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:34:17 PM by fevanv6 » Logged

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:42:08 PM »

Hey Jas,

ah yeah i did go back and notice that filler and the aforementioned custom tanks.

i'm trying to get "off the shelf" parts to fit, mainly for lower cost and easy replacement.  it will be a pity to change out my current rad as it's a great cooler, however the thickness wont allow the condensor to fit.

another hassle is my ECU doesnt run engine fans and AC condensor fans.  

AC fans only.
it can be cheated by lowering the cut in temp of the fans. and sending the ECU an AC on signal.. i have nutted out a simple circuit using a couple of diodes and what not.

so.. twin fans on the condensor... or some big thermos on the radiator... things to be decided. ideally id like to get rid of the engine driven fan.

ramble on

Ed

in the shed
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:55:13 PM »

Why not bypass the ecu and use water temp instead?

You could set up a single seperate circuit to a thermostat and a relay to bring in the fans at  given temperature, or fan as mine does, leaving the ecu to drine the othre for the a/c.

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:29:54 PM »

i have a davies craig thermostat in the parts box which can do the job.

the idea of the ecu doing everything seems easy, it already takes the water temp so the input is there, and currently the ecu is controlling the thermos.. using the cheat method.

but you're right.. isolating the two circuits will be easier and in the event that one fails, there is still another to cool the motor.

have found comm rads with fillers..yay.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:36:15 PM »

I've decided to pull the pin on the AC idea.

there is no good place in a wagon to conceal an evaporator at this stage of the finished build.

a sedan, ute or panel van would be no dramas, but the wagon is space limited when it comes to concealing things.  Hiding 2 amps and 2 subwoofers was difficult enough, I should have built the items into the car, but now am reluctant to re-work the car to suit.

for now... idea shelved for the next project unless....

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: