FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 05:29:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: tint off windows  (Read 3314 times)
minifcvan
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:00:23 AM »

hi guys whats the best way to get tint of windows without scratching the window?? cheers  mark     Grin Grin Grin Grin
TAYZ
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:38:26 AM »

A nice fine razor blade  (and LOTS of patience)  Ive done it before.... Angry Angry

tayz
Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:55:58 AM »

Mini
    Get yourself a good quality scraper with a comfortable handle that takes those one sided razors. Cover the handle with a rag and some masking tape to give it some bulk if need be . Then use metho , thinners or petrol to remove the glue. A can of elbow grease will go a long way as well  Grin.
                         Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »

you will need to spray it at the same time to keep it slippery and dont use a bent or rusty razor, I use a solvent like kero or white spirit, most window tinters use kenco shift it.
be careful if its on a window with a demister, the blade will take out the demister strips as soon as you hit them with the razor.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:57:44 AM by fccool59 » Logged

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 07:06:34 AM »

Hey Mark
If you can get some heat on the window..afternoon sun...then use a razor paint scaper to lift a corner. It should peel off with out too much trouble.
If you do it with cold windows , the tint becomes brittle and it will take forever with a razor.
I took the tint off a landcruser that was around 20 years old. Tried to take it off in the shed and got nowhere...put it in the sun for half an hour and took the lot off in 20 minutes.
If there is any backing glue left just soak with turps and it will wipe off
Hope this helps
Gary

tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 07:25:24 AM »

According to my better half [she did window tinting and signs for about ten years] you could also try peeling a corner then use Eucolyptus oil but try to keep it off the paint though.

Regards Tommo
v8 wagon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 06:48:20 AM »

Steam... if you use a steamer that they sell for households,(karcher etc) or a wallpaper remover, it will remove the tint, and glue extremely easily.

They can be hired cheaply

steve
minifcvan
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 06:58:28 AM »

thanks guys for all your imput
steve all these years i thought steam was only good for ironing and making coffee (he he spinner)  Grin Grin Grin i shall give it  ago thank you all
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: