FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 07:54:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: pros and cons of single or dual system with booste  (Read 3210 times)
tmudie

Back on the road again

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2002, 07:06:18 AM »

Hi All,

I have just purchased a VH40L booster and want to fit to the drivers side engine bay (or thereabouts), I have HR front end and drums all round, and they have had quite a bit of work done on them, so I want to retain (ie: not upgrade to front disks).

What are the pro's and con's of keeping a single master cylinder or dual? my main concern is safety, I'm doing this car up specifically so I can put in baby seats and take the family on drives.

If I move to a dual system what's the best master cylinder to buy? (and easiest to fit)

Thanks,

Tony

I hope I wear as well as my FC Holden
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 09:16:19 AM »

No need for a booster with 4 wheel drums and as long as you keep the brakes serviced they will do quite OK with the single cylinder.  If you decide on dual circuit brakes Falcon master cylinder is best as the pipes exit on the firewall side rather than the engine side as Holden does.

Ken
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 12:53:25 PM »

Hi Tony

Be careful of using the VH40L booster it runs a high output pressure of 1,470 psi and a low crack pressure.
It can cause the brakes to lock up at a touch of the peddle, this booster is generally used with disk brakes.
The VH44 is the best option when boosting 4 wheel drum brakes it has an output pressure of 820.psi which is more suited to your needs and on a single system will work fine.

Hope this helps  
Steve.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 11:26:27 PM »

If you've already got HR drums, switching to discs is fairly trivial.  (You'll need HR rims though, FC ones don't fit over the calipers).

But you won't know yourself in the stopping power department.  HR drums aren't that much better than FC ones, IMHO.

Why don't you want to go discs?  What work has been done on the front drums that can't be used on the rear end later if not now?

RET
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 11:37:55 PM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 12:01:00 AM »

Hi Tony
       As Ret said the stopping power of the disc's compared to the drum is a lot better. But if you ever decide to change over to disc's (which would be easy since you already have the HR frontend) you will need to change your rear wheel cylinders to the smaller 9/16 cylinder.

Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: