FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:17:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: V6 or not?  (Read 3701 times)
cruiser056
qld-club

cruisin to the rock and roll

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2006, 08:37:13 PM »

Gday all,
             I know this has been discussed before, but I am considering a V6 conversion on my FE sedan.

My wife wants a new car so I am considering using her VS Berlina as a donor car, engine, box, seats, console, dash as much as I can get into the FE.  The trade in value is not a great deal, so I would rather sell it privately or use as a donor car.  My FE already runs a 186, 5 speed, HZ front brakes and a VN disc brake rear end.  I would just like to know the ups and downs of such a conversion from some of the people who have done or still doing this.  I just can't make up my mind whether to stick with what I have or go the V6 conversion?
              I respect the opinions and comments of the people on this site, thus why I am asking.

Thanks

Michael
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:42:54 AM »

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth as I'm in a similar dilemma myself at the moment. I have a donor car, sandblasted shell in the garage ready for structural mods and the means to do the job.
The real issue is that you cant beat the nostalgia of cruisen around in a red powered FC/E. If you need a car for full time transport buy a v6 commodore and drive it. Take the FC out on the weekend or just when you feel like it. The money you spend doing the V6 conversion on the old flyer you could own a crummydore and a red powered flyer as well.
I've just picked up my recoed hot red and she's being mated up with a M21 to slip into my old FC drive car. The sandblasted shell is going to sit for a while and the wife just ran out of oil in the VS berlina and seized it so the donor cars engine now has a new home in her car.
It all fell into place but in a couple of weeks I'll feel 18 again as I cruise around in my red powered flyer listening to rock and roll wondering why I'd want it any other way.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:16:01 AM »

Can't beat a red six, IMHO.

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:36:20 AM »

G'day Michael,

It's a big job, getting everything into the car, but for me was well worth the effort. I used the VT and has some very big wins with regards to fitment of boosters and pedal assembly. I also used all of the wiring harness and thermo fans, seats, instrument cluster etc, so if you want a reliable, fuel injected option with decent fuel, the V6 works pretty good. You could compare the way the two engines operate as you have both the cars running at the moment and then go from there. The other way of doing it is to start a new project rather than take two cars off the road at the same time.

Any other q's just send me a PM, I'd be happy to answer questions on what I have done.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »

If your wife wants a new car you can't argue with that, get her one!
She probably needs  air, power steering, fast glass,stereo etc.
If you want a V6 FE, you're half way there but need a bit more blood sweat and tears to get there.
You'll find help on this forum.
cheers.
Smiley

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:09:16 AM »

PS: you can' t beat late model injection. Turn the key and go.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: