FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:20:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpected FE Wagon encounters  (Read 6568 times)
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:02:37 AM »

G'day everyone.

I was on a work trip to Toowoomba last week with a colleague. Finished our business just out of town and decided to drive the back way to Brisbane through Esk and Fernvale.

We arrived at Fernvale at lunchtime and decided to have a pie at the (excellent) pie shop. As we sat outside a grey FE wagon came along and turned right near the shop. Making to follow its tracks after finishing our pies, we came upon it parked at the corner.

Here it is;

The car is pretty original, still has the original trim, looks ok rustwise, but has lots of dings for reasons that will become apparent. Unusually the dash top matches the door tops and is white. It looks original Huh

It is owned by Bill, a spritely 93!! year old. When I talked to him about it, he told me he'd been offered $5,000 for it and did I think that was fair? I told him I thought that sounded ok, whereupon he told me he has to sell it because his hips are crook. Then he said that if I gave him $6,000 I could have it. If I live to that age I hope I'm as sharp as him Tongue

Then he told me that there were 30 acres of old Holdens nearby, so naturally we had to visit them.

All are owned by Neil Thurston, who has a very original Corsair Tan FE wagon and another rusty hulk ouside. So that was three for the day! Neil said he thought Bills car is an early one because the upper tailgate outside rubber seal (different to my FC) is different to his tan car.

Two of the three have the dark colour as the lower one, which seems to be more common on wagons than sedans?

Couldn't get any numbers, sorry Ken, or photos of the tan car. Here are some photos I took. Sorry about the resolution, all I had was my phone.

Cheers
John
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 03:14:37 AM by ret » Logged

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 02:14:47 AM »

Great stuff John wish he was in NSW. That Blue car looks alright + a tilly's kit.
Cheers,
Graham
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:21:59 AM »

Nice hunting John,

I have the original upper tailgate for my wagon (57).  it has the strip for the outer rubber strip as you described.

from what i know, the FC did not have these strips.

I think the upper gate on the FE also has countersunk holes for the hinge screws (as opposed to bolts).

One day I will put this upper gate back on the wagon since it is an FE item.
I'd' like to see the actual rubber strip that fits the groove if anybody has a pic??

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 03:13:50 AM »

Great find John and a good yarn to boot!!

It amazes me what's still "out there" waiting to be found...

Cheers
Les.....

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:01:26 AM »

Its actually Neil Burston.  Neil is a good friend of mine and a very  likeable bloke - especially with all those Holdens!
He is a Holden wrecker at the end of Randalls RD Fernvale.
I have a full pictorial account of his yard on my website under roaming for wrecks album.
( http://www.streetneat.com )
I go out there every few months and  take some more pics of his relics - mostly of what might be new.
Cheers streetneat -Andrew.

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
cajerridoc
sa-club

Model: FE and FC

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:33:10 AM »

Did you get a number for Bill with the FE Wagon?

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 07:08:46 AM »

Funny how the FC bonnett mascot pops up on FE's now & then, our FE panelvan looks a lot like that FE wagon & it also has the FC mascot.

Nice looking wagon, dents & all

Cheers, Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: