FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 06:31:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sound Deadner Aplication  (Read 19006 times)
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »

I have sanded down the inside of the roof and would like some advice in how to proceed.

Should I paint the area with something like POR 15 and leave it at that .

Or try to get hold of something like the original sound  deadner and glue it on to the bare steel then paint      primer/colour over it (as per original)

I think it needs something there to stop the heat and noise so Im inclined to go with the second option .

Does anybody know where I might buy some sound deadner or similar in Brisbane ?

Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 12:07:31 PM »

Hey Brad
Make sure that whatever you get, that it is not thicker than the original deadener as you will have trouble with the headlining bows if it is.
Regards
Alex

Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »

dude your cars upside down Tongue Tongue i would paint it before you stuck anything to it.

Ford boy with a FC weakness!!!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 10:59:59 PM »

Absolutely, seal it with some of the modern epoxy primers that are available now.  You could use a spray on deadener in stead of the board as it will be just as good.  Most sound deadener glue on stuff today is too thick as Alex mentioned.  You may remember seeing the hood bow indentations in the original board before you removed it?

Ken
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:19:07 AM »

I plan to go Ed Ho's way with dynamat extreme, this is what the car audio guys replace the factory stuff with and it cuts out more noise and heat than regular deadeners as well as improving the sound quality of the stereo, it also is known to have excellent bonding wich is important on the roof in the sun. you may notice this stuff on those foxtel shows as it is what is used in all the cars from people like chip foose.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 04:50:39 AM »

did somebody say "dynamat"?

this stuff is great to deaden the panels.. dont confuse it with sound proofing because it's not.

this stuff stops your panels from drumming and at highway speeds makes the car alot less noisey.

so stick it your roof.

or floors or wherever you like.

apply it by "prepsoling" the area to remove wax or grease then apply it using a wall paper roller. I also made it super sticky by using a heat gun to make it .... stickier.

there is a warning on the packet that says "extremely sticky".. and it is.

some ppl use up to 3 layers but I feel that's unecessary.

your panels instead of going "clink" will now go "thud".

happy dynamatting

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 05:49:53 AM »

this dynamat stuff seems great.   Shocked

Where is it available?  Does it come in various size sheets or is it a roll?
Huh Huh
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 06:43:13 AM »

its not cheap, you will need two bulk packs. the cheapest ive been able to find is on ebay @ $210 + $25 for 1 bulk pack, if you just want to do the roff and maybe around the speakers, 1 bulk pack is probably enough, car audio guys go crazy with it covering everything with 2 or 3 layers to get the most out of their sound system, as Ed said, it make the car sound very solid and the doors make a thid noise instead of the tinny clunk noise when you shut the doors and gives it a feel of a fancy luxury car wich could be good on long trips, best of all its a hidden modificatoin that doesnt affect the look of the car unless you line the boot area with it wich is common to do, you may need a wagon hoodlining in a van to do it but.
also I learned the hard way, dont leave any of the roof to be done when the car is back to the right way up.

dynamat have a website, not sure of the url but its probably something like http://www.dynamat.com

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 10:22:04 PM »

Thanks for the replies and info guys . I think I'll Por 15  the roof and go with the spray on urathane deadner .
               Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »

Hey guys

just wondering what people have done to reduce road/engine noise???

At the moment my car is extremely loud if over 30mph and i want make it quieter so i can hear myself think and not get a headache from driving.

Cheers Ben

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »

I used stone guard on the undercarriage and inside on the floor then used house carpet underlay then carpet....I wanted a quiet ride too.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 08:09:01 PM »

i now have my two boxes of dynamat extreme ready to go on.
http://www.dynamat.com

GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 11:25:12 PM »

I used stone guard on the undercarriage and inside on the floor then used house carpet underlay then carpet....I wanted a quiet ride too.

Well i was going to use dynamat on the floors, then underlay and also replace the seals in all doors in the hope it would quieten it down enough???

On a brighter note got all parts for new motor so let the rebuild begin Grin

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 07:04:07 AM »

yeah, it might just need new oil.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »

Well i was going to use dynamat on the floors, then underlay and also replace the seals in all doors in the hope it would quieten it down enough???

On a brighter note got all parts for new motor so let the rebuild begin Grin

Dynamat also have a new underlay out as well which is supposed to absorb noise better than the traditional style of underlay.

I've dynamatted, underlayed, replaced seals, stone guarded the floor.
I guess its reasonably "quiet", I can hear the stereo at least. 
The biggest source of noise ( i have) is wind noise around the window frames.  Best to align the doors as well as you can.

the only reaminging noise is the exhaust.. but i like that, the neighbours, missus and kid all hate the noise, but stuff 'em.... it's a V8  Cheesy  Grin

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 07:41:34 PM »

Hey Ben,
Don't use rubber underlay or the old style fibre underlay - use a woolen carpet underlay as it is very sound absorbent and being wool is not as susceptible to holding moisture.  Good luck with the rebuild Cheesy keep us informed

regards
Weddo
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 12:37:30 AM »

Hey Ben,
Don't use rubber underlay or the old style fibre underlay - use a woolen carpet underlay as it is very sound absorbent and being wool is not as susceptible to holding moisture.  Good luck with the rebuild Cheesy keep us informed

regards
Weddo

Hey Bill

thanks for the tip, i'll keep it in mind  Wink

Have everything here ready bar gasket kit to build a hot 186 and also considering giving the paint a little freshen up and fit the new wheels Grin

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »

Nice looking car,is it FC or FE.I see you have FE special trim on Gutter,under back window and boot lid.No strips under the tailights though?Nothing wrong with the wheels though apart from the HR caps....he he.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 11:47:11 PM »

Nice looking car,is it FC or FE.I see you have FE special trim on Gutter,under back window and boot lid.No strips under the tailights though?Nothing wrong with the wheels though apart from the HR caps....he he.Cheers,Jamie.

Hey Jamie

thanks for the kind words, its a 59 FC special that needs alot of TLC but has plenty of potential.

Needs even more TLC and has made me speed up plans as i blew a head gasket lastnight Cry

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 09:53:54 AM »

thanks for the tips on sound deadening... dont mention it.. Undecided  Undecided

in the shed
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: