FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:06:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: paint questions  (Read 2563 times)
sgo

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:52:32 AM »

My FC has been sprayed in "Dulux Dulon"paint.
I need to touch up some areas, so is this type of paint still available, or if not, what type of paint should I use?
Also,from other posts on the topic, it seems colour matching is the way to get the right mix?
(By the way, India Ivory over Corsair Tan.)

the_love_god

DARK & STORMY

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:04:33 AM »

YES you can still get it ,if you use dulon there a chance that they mite not have it anymore ,if your happy to get it colour match go for it ,best to take to a old timer spray painter in your area were his would know best ,or go to your nearest protec paint shop.and see if they could match it for you ,good luck cheers from AlfioM Smiley
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Alfio.
But from what you said, Dulon might be hard to get???
And do you think I should get it mixed from a formula???
George.

the_love_god

DARK & STORMY

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 10:33:09 AM »

No worrys sgo, if you mix it from the formula it mite turn out a diffrent shade of colour,becuse its been painted before and you only need to touch up,its best to get it eye matched ,get the colour mix from formula then get it eye matched,you mite be lucky it could be close and only need a bit of ajustment.if you need any help let me know cheers AlfioM
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 04:11:47 AM »

Alfio, I dropped in to my local Protec dealer and came away with "Auto Acrylic Laquer" as what I need.
He can mix it to a formula.
Do you have the numbers I need to mix up "India Ivory"
Also for "Corsair Tan - of which I seem to remember a thread in here which said there was a change at some time to this colour? (just to confuse matters!)
Thanks, George.

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:20:55 AM »

Further to the above, this is the thread:

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=album;action=display;num=1098673233;start=2

What , if any would be the visual differences?

craiga
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 05:45:02 AM »

Hi George,

If you look at the formula in my earlier post you will see that there is much more yellow tint in the 1956 version, which is fairly factual if you see an FE with Corsair Tan (Kathy Textor's) next to my late 1959 Corsiar Tan FC. Both repainted, but at a guess sort of close to the factory colours.

If you are going to use the paint for touch ups there's no question you'll need to get it eye matched, if you are respraying the car then mine was mixed using PPG formula's from their head office in Melbourne and, like all two pack versions of the original colours, is a reasonable representation of the factory paint colour.

IMHO there is just no way known you could accurately recreate the colours of the paint used 50 years ago. Close maybe, but the changes in chemicals used would surely make it improbable.

Good luck, and well done on keeping it the same colours.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:51:10 AM by craiga » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: