FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 09, 2024, 09:50:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tripple Strommies-Setup  (Read 2554 times)
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:48:21 AM »

hi guys. below is a picture of the setup that will be running on our new motor, speco tripples and jack myers headers (would prefere speco headers to go with all of the other speco gear but it seems they are bloody hard to find). the tripple carb manifold had far to many imperfections to be polished, so it will be painted engine grey along with the motor. i have a few questions in regards to the manifold.

1. has anybody tried amking up their own linkages? and has their attempt been successful? the carb setup came with a linkage setup, but it was a home made bodgy setup, of wich ran without mounting the the manifold, we want it so it runs in the original linkage followers.

2. on the manifold, the first hole is larger than the rest, the second is slightly smaller than the first, but where the carb mounts is slightly raised, and the third hole is smaller again, yet it is raiser even higher than the second (i hope that makes sense) why is this? will this effect the motors performance?

any help is greatly appreciated

regards
Darcy

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:27:09 AM »

that manifold has nice big boss's for a rod linkage set up already on it just get some rod about same size but longer and experiment with speco linkages and HR holden type linkage from firewall might come close to right angle for the rod setup,when you have it all worked out paint it all up and should look neat
sorry if this sounds rough but as you cant buy it off the shelf you have to resort to trial and error method.lol. Grin
unless someone on forum already has similar set up you can copy Wink

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 06:05:49 AM »

Darcy. I've got a near identical Speco tripple manifold I bought from a vic club member a few years ago however it doesn't have the "divorce" style linkage setup ie it uses inline linkages.It would appear that speco made two types of tripple manifolds for greys.I have no linkages and was going to make my own with help of some linkage parts available from American Auto Parts.

2.Can't answer why the carb intake holes are different diameters.Mine are all same size.You will find the holes are raised starting from front carby,second one higher and third carb higher again.When you install your motor you will find the motor will be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so higher at the front than at the rear of motor.The carb mounts are designed so that when the manifold and carbs are on an installed motor that they are all the same height once fitted ie not on same plane as motor but all sitting at same height and all on a level plane.
Will it effect engine performance???  It allows all carbs to be level thus allowing correct float levels on all carbs so it actually helps it to all work properly(hopefully LOL)

Sorry I don't have photos as I don't have one of those digikal camera thingys and am too stupid to know how to use one!!! I'm putting the tripples on a low mile,recent rebore/rebuild,2nd hand hot grey I bought recently (186 red valves in head,balanced,hot cam of some sort etc.....hope its not a 40/80 LOL  but something a little bit milder)that I am hopeing to install in my FB standard sedan sometime this millenium.

Interested to see how it all ends up for you, hope this info helps, regards Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 06:13:37 AM »

terry/nicko thanks for your help!!!

i was tihnking of running w clips with some bits of rod, but because it already has the 'divorce' style linkage thingo lol. was going to just get some rod, cut it to length. today i noticed that speco make the linkage part that goes to the carby and they also make the part that joins the linkage part the the rod (hmmm i sound dumb lol)

anyway thanks again for ya help

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 08:05:32 AM »

Darcy. Just measured my carb/manifold intakes.Front carb intake diameter 33.5 mm,middle carb intake 32.5 mm,rear carb intake 31 mm.So mine aren't exactly the same size either however as the carb/manifold intake hole is as cast and not machined I'd put the size difference down to slight inaccuracies in casting mold when made.Won't really affect performance as long as the carb intake diameter on manifold is same size (or slightly bigger)as carb base diameter and that the carb base is matched up to the manifold intake in the same/similar manner as when someone port matches a manifold to inlet/exhaust port in the head.

Terry

P.S. Just measured a grey carb base diameter and it was 33 mm diameter so I might have to increase rear carb manifold intake a little in size to match up.Might gain 1/8 of 1 hosepower when I do LOL!!!

FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 08:23:59 AM »

Just thought of something else re linkages. Read a post from a while back re  multiple carbs/linkages/tuning Huh. Dr Terry (no not me I don't know that much) said he found a lot of multiple carb tune problems stemmed from ill fitting/sloppy linkages that didn't allow syncronous butterfly openings so when making/fitting your linkages this would be good advice to consider. Good luck.  I'll shut up now.  Terry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: