FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 09:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: re-covering seats  (Read 3373 times)
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2005, 11:19:20 PM »

hi all, wondering if anyone has actually covered their seats themselves. i am at a stage where i cannot afford the $$$$ to get my seats trimmed professionally and am thinking of attempting it myself.  :-/  Tongue
the original material is in good condition so i was going to carefully cut this away from the seats and use it as a pattern to cut the new stuff out.
i know i need to replace several sagging and broken springs but i am also hoping to sculpt out some supports for backs of legs and lumbar region.
now the big question is has anyone done this themselves or can offer any tips or sugesstions. a website with images would be super.
also what type of foam is best to use in this situation. i will need some to lay accross the top of the springs and some thicker more dense foam for the supports.

i know this is a big challenge but i also want the sattisfaction of saying i did it myself  Wink Grin Grin

any assitance is welcome.
cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 11:40:21 PM »

Dean,

I bought a book (thru graffiti publications)

called auto upholstery handbook and another called custom upholstery.

basically u need to lay down y our foam, shape it (with a knife),

heres the hard bit.

stretch the material (using aid of steamer), then hog ring it into place (metal rings to frame).

Ive ended up outsourcing the trimming and results so far are very good.

keep in mind,  you need an industrial sewer too to sew the pleats in the vinyl.

HTH

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 12:08:13 AM »

I will be doing this for future projects, my current trim is being done by a professional(?).
By coincidence I picked up the book Automotive Upholstery Handbook ($50), I also got a cheap industrial sewing machine off ebay. Then I am going to a night-course next year.
Industrial Sewing Machines vary in price, mine was $180 and needing fixing, but it now works like a charm. I have seen them start as low as $350 in the Trader, but you may get lucky on ebay.
You will need to practise first though, my first attempts at sewing leave a lot to be desired. I think machine technique is the big hurdle, especially sewing a straight line.

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 12:09:59 AM »

thanks ed. i had my roof lining stitched up professionally but installed that myself, big job for one person with no experience but it came up a treat, i also trimmed the door trims and centre console myself so why stop there ;)its just teaching myself to sew thats got me nervous. time is really no problem now just money as i am getting pressure from the inlaws to buy a house etc  Tongue.

i might have to keep an eye out for the books.
cheers
dean

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 12:15:50 AM »

Dean,

I can lend you the books if you like? PM me your address etc.

the sewing bit scared me, and my mum told me her machine wouldnt cope with vinyl, so no luck there.

Keep at it , checked out your online album, the car looks great.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 12:18:55 AM »

cheers stinky, yeah its getting the lines straight and working out how to measure the material. i have a friend who runs a textile restoration bussiness so i think some bartering might be in order. well at least for some lessons. i am hoping to do a trad tuck and roll style so looking over books may give me some ideas.

cheers again
'dean

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 01:31:54 AM »

thanks heaps ed i have sent you a pm.
cheers

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 03:35:49 AM »

Instead of using those metal rings, I found using plastic cable ties a lot easier.

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 03:48:27 AM »

thanks for the tip SGO.  Wink

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 05:36:29 AM »

The metal rings aren't so bad when you have the right tool. Any reasonalbe hardware store has the special pliers for the job, look in the fencing tools section. The cable ties would be handy for the tight spots though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: