FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 18, 2024, 01:37:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: oil out of dipstick tube  (Read 7316 times)
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:31:28 AM »

Hi guys just a small problem, have just put a new oil filter, and oil into my FC which has a 186, problem is when the motor is idling everythings fine 15psi oil pressure, but when you give it a few revs I get oil spewing out of the dipstick tube question is WHY?Huh Have I put too much oil in? I put 4.5 liters in it .
If that is correct what is  causing the oil to come back up the dipstick tube.
Cheers Tony
craiga
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 01:39:01 AM »

This sounds dumb, but I have heard of it happening.

Did you empty out all the old oil? Sounds like its overfull.

Does it look good on the dipstick?

Cheers,

Craig.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 03:00:44 AM »

two things can cause this,1,you have pressure build up from wrong or blocked oil filler cap on rocker cover, or 2, blow bye from stuffed rings.' allowing crank case to fill with air .
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 03:02:34 AM by nicko » Logged

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:16:12 AM »

Wouldn't the oil level need to be up to the bottom of the dipstick tube for the oil to be forced out? Otherwise the blowby would be coming out of the tube and not oil?

I'd go with CraigA and suggest the motor is overful.

Is the dipstick the correct one? It wouldn't be the first time someone discovered that their dipstick is too short.

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 04:58:41 AM »

I'd say the PCV valve is not working.
Disconnect the PCV valve with engine idling and place finger over valve.
The engine rpm should drop and a "click" should be heard as you place finger over valve.
If this is not the case check that the valve is not blocked or the hose at the manifold end has not harden and collapsed on the inside.
If you have the breather pipe type on the rear of the rocker cover then make sure the oil filler cap is clean & the breather pipe is not blocked.
You may have to check for blockage inside the rocker where the breather is connected.
If you have a PCV valve fitted it must have the plain sealed oil filler cap.
If you have the breather pipe it must have the vented oil cap.
If you still have this problem the oil contol rings are gummed up and/or you may have used a thicker oil .
Hope this helps.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 06:50:48 AM »

Thanks guys for all the advice but im using everything std as per before the oil change, only thing i can think of would the filter be faulty( fatherinlaw said they had same problem on a race car they owned change filter problem went away)
Ok next question is How much oil should the motor take (thats if the dipstick is the wrong one) this will give me a idea if im putting too much oil in her
cheers Tony
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 07:19:29 AM »

Not easy to find the answer on the 'net (don't have a manual handy), but this page says capacity is 4.2L, which sounds reasonable.  The little bit extra you put in I would not have thought sufficient to have the oil overflow out of the dipstick tube.  You've probably had more than 300ml on the garage floor by now anyway... :-/

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 07:59:10 AM »

Yea had about 500mils on floor  Angry  going to drain oil into clean container tomorrow and see how much I get, Just went and got another Z30 Ryco oil filter and 5liters of oil what a great way to spend a sat morining oil change. Grin Grin
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 08:08:02 AM »

If the problem was not there before you changed the oil and filter then my guess would be the new oil filter is faulty Wink
4.5 litres of oil in the sump wouldn't cause the problem.
ACE  Cool
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 08:11:41 AM by ACE » Logged
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 08:37:39 AM »

go with the pvc if its getting blowby it should also fume when you remove oil filler cap regards mal
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 10:23:04 PM »

Had this problem many years ago in a red-motored FX.
An on the road fix to finish a Melb-Adelaide-Melb trip was to slot some PVC tube over the dip-stick tube and run it up into the rocker cover.
The oil just went round and round and got us home!
Never did find out what caused it, but guessed it was blow-by?
You could do the same and fit an in-line filter;D

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 10:24:54 PM »

That last post should end in a funny smiley face.
 Grin

fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 02:42:12 AM »

ITS BEEN FIXED YEEHAAA Grin Grin Grin Grin

problem was the oil filter it had colasped causing pressure build up.

But im a bit p***ff with Repco as they wouldn't replace it as i didn't have a receipt, as the notty nosed pimple faced just out of nappys counter person replyed "its our policy if you dont like it go somewhere else"
Well guess what I am  Angry

Anyway guys thanks for all the help and advice  I checked everything else out.
e.g PVC valve etc....

In the end it cost me two filters and two packs of oil, but it will cost Repco a lot more than that.
Supercheap looks good now a bit futher to go but better service and better prices Grin

again thanks to everyone who helped
cheers Tony
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 03:36:23 AM »

mate, problem is supercheap sucks.
have you ever seen one of those clowns down at the back desk, everytime I see one he is telling a customer they dont have what they need in stock, maybe they stock no parts and this guy is really here to take orders, you will also pay out your a%#e for ordered in parts. 10% off price match is only of items they stock.
Then there is the battle for getting items like condensors and points without a part number as there books are lucky to carry red motor numbers, let alone grey ones.
repco is getting like supercheap. you should have thrown your filter across the shop becuase you probably arent going to get anywere with it without a reciept.
I rember when the guy behind the counter just remembered your name and what you bought. if you can get away with using a cheap tool on something or you need a wheel barrow  or gardening tools or $1 sheets of sandpaper, go to supercheap, dont bother asking anyone in supercheap any questions, they know as much about cars as the McSlaves at maccas, they simply waste part of your day with dumb answers.
Here we have a Robbo's at blacktown that has good service, knowledge and a good range of red and grey parts, and he probably would have rememberd your face and replaced the filter with pride in his products

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 03:56:25 AM »

REPCO

Rip
Every
Poor
Customer
Off

Yellow Knight

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 08:09:56 PM »

I would not use repco or supercheap both should be selling bread & milk & newspapers. Up here I go to cheapa autos at Currumbin, Jason & Russell will go that extra distance to get you what your after & they remember you they also take pride in their service & stand behind the products they sell. If you have any problems they are only to happy to help & get it sorted out, as they wont you to come back a second time. Just my 2 cents worth. Grin

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: