FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 01:22:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 253 into FE  (Read 2525 times)
grey_ray

Ray's Museum opening soon!!

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2005, 12:25:31 PM »

Is it possible to put a 253 into an FE?

I've heard that the Holden V8's are a problem to fit because of the width. Does anyone have some rough dimensions?

Is the 253 the same width and length as the 308?

The reason why I ask about the 253 is because of the low tare weight of my FE, 1016kg. I think that limits me to 298ci for an engine size?

I measured up the 289 in my Galaxie, width is 27 inches or so, around the same as a Holden V6. But the length is 31 inches, thats about the distance from the firewall to the radiator support panel in the FE!! That would mean chopping into the firewall to get it to fit. I think the hot rodders have the same problem when they try to fit a small block ford V8 into an model A, hence a recessed firewall, or a chevy V8 (Not withstanding the fact that small block chevs are generally cheaper to buy performance parts for).

I guess a V6 conversion would be the easier option, but I want to get the info on a V8 conversion first.

Sixes do the job, but V8's sound the business.

Ray.
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:46:35 PM »

Ray
       It is possible to fit a 253 or 308 in to a FE it has been done many times before. Do a search & you will find posts from Ed hoe & Glenn m who have both installed holden v8's in to their cars.
I am sure the external size of a 253 & a 308 are the same as are the sizes of a 283 chev up to a 400 chev the only difference is that the 400's had a extra welsh plug each side.
Fitting a 253 or 308 does require some sight modifications to the passenger side firewall to allow for the wider vee & that the passenger side head slightly offset further back on the holden v8's the opposite to a chev.
Glenn
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:03:46 PM by GLENN » Logged

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 10:23:53 PM »

Ray,

Glenn's correct the 253 and 308 are physically the same.

As far as fit is concerned it fits quite OK.

isnt capacity calculated using the heaviest variant of the model?

I dummy fit the 253 and then fitted a 308.

see this thread for more info and pics.

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hotup;action=display;num=1084429917

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 04:28:48 AM »

hey guys i recently got my v8( 253 ) fc registered in qld but i had not much drama fitting it in i bought the crs chassis kit fitted that in had a local engineer up this way shorten and fit a manual steer rear mounted rack also had to cut a fraction of passengers side firewall to make it fit but i hand made custom engine mounts which allow for clearance of extractors which also had to be hand made and they DONT go through the inner guards as some cars do any help just ask Smiley Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: