FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 02:19:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC wagon rear indicators  (Read 4141 times)
Mark59wagon

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2005, 12:03:17 AM »

can anyone confirm for me that the indicators function in the top(red) part of the tailight lens(there's a second orange lens behind the red), in conjunction with the park and brake light please(one bulb for all)? My mechanic is doing a roadworthy has a problem with this and I need to check that this is correct and give him a copy of something from a manual etc to verify. The reverse light only is operating the lower orange lens.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 01:51:25 AM »

If your wagon was built before September '59, then I can assure you and your mechanic that the wiring is correct and these vehicles had the rear blinkers integrated into the brake lights.

You could perhaps take him a printout of this page, or perhaps this wiring diagram?

However, if you do have the flashing brake-lights, the reversing light lens should be clear/white, not amber.  Both colour lenses are available from Rare Spares.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 05:31:48 AM »

Hi Mark.

RET is spot-on with what he has said.

In my opinion, if the car already has lower amber lenses, wire these up the same as FB/EK etc as amber blinkers.

While I'm a stickler for originality, I think that amber rear blinkers are safer than the flashing brake lights & they will keep your roadworthy guy happier as well.

They are not a big deal to change over & you don't have the run any new wires to the rear of the car. It's also dead legal because it is the way that GM-H did it at the factory with the late FC amber lens cars.

Dr Terry.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 05:49:05 AM »

The changes required to do as Terry has suggested are very straightforward, and you will find they have been discussed in this thread and this one.  There has also been a copy of the requisite wiring diagram posted.

Hope that's all some help to you.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Mark59wagon

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 08:58:55 AM »

Thanks Ret & Dr Terry, I'll go with the red indicators for now as I have convinced the mech that they are acceptable (with your help)but will follow your advice and change over to the amber lowers for the indicators once the dust has settled.
Cheers
Mark
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 02:39:04 AM »

Most states of Australia required amber rear indicators for all vehicles built after 1st January 1960. Manufacturers geared up before that a bit earlier. That is why FCs went to Amber lens at the bottom with indicators and why 59 Chevs (most were sold in 60) had the Chromed Guide indicators dropped under the wings (anyone have any spares?).

Your car will indeed be legal with red rear indicators, however after being nearly run into numerous times in my old 57 Chev I went out and bought repro reverse lights (and put amber globes in them) for indicators. I was nearly wiped out on 3 occasions before that and not once afterward. Young drivers do not notice the red flashing indicators and have no idea what they are!

If my FC wagon had not had the amber rear indicators already I would have converted it over the way Dr Terry said. No point having a totally original car with a whole side wiped out of it!

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 09:51:28 AM »

IMHO the rear of an FE or FC should have red upper and white lower lenses - thats just the way they were (except for the last couple of months) and I have never been close to being hit or beeped, or shouted at, or anything in over 20 years of driving stocky cars.
When it came time to register the modified FE, I HAD to have orange indicators but I got through engineers and roadworthy by having yellow globes behind the white lenses.

Just another option.

Ken
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:33:30 PM »

I agree with Ken that it is a personal choice thing, Ken has obviously been a bit luckier than me. The FE/FC does have one advantage in that the light is higher than on a 57 Chev making it much more visible. I found turning right the biggest issue as people would overtake you, not thinking you were turning.

This happened to me once at Melbourne Showgrounds when going to a VDC Swap Meet. Fortunately I saw the person overtaking me in my mirror and stopped the turn. They narrowly missed me. Eddie Ford (Restored Cars Magazine) had his Oldsmobile Wagon wiped out in exactly the same spot in exactly the same manner a short time later. I had 2 other identical near misses when about to turn right before changing to amber rear indicators and had no incidents after that.

I also never had any similar incident in my FC Wagon, which had amber rear lenses. Could be coincidence, however the rules were changed back in 1960 for this very reason, to distinguish stopping from turning. It is still your choice but be very aware that if you choose to run red indicators always check the right mirror carefully before you commence any right turn! The very first change I am doing to the new Chev is to put the reverse lights in with orange globes and using them as rear indicators, rather than the red, just like my old one.

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 11:07:47 PM »

I've been indicating with hand signals as well as the flashing brake lights in my FEs for quite a few years now, and never had a close call since getting into that habit.

I agree that many drivers on the road these days don't recognise the flashing brake-lights immediately as being indicators, but a hand out the window always seems to get noticed.

Just my 2c.

cheers
RET

justcruisin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 01:33:38 AM »

RET writes
I've been indicating with hand signals as well as the flashing brake lights in my FEs for quite a few years now, and never had a close call since getting into that habit.

I agree that many drivers on the road these days don't recognise the flashing brake-lights immediately as being indicators, but a hand out the window always seems to get noticed.

Most of us under 40 don't recognise hand signals either, however if you chose to also wear a hat ( fedora or trilby etc)RET then I would instinctively provide you a wide berth. Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: