FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 04:13:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC regulator, optional?  (Read 1531 times)
dbfc

59 FC Station Sedan

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:09:08 AM »

This is probably a dumb question, but can the voltage regulator be removed from an FC altogether and still run?

Either I can't recognize a voltage regulator from pictures, or my 59 FC station sedan is missing it altogether.  I'm assuming it should be a bosch unit, probably mounted along the right side of the engine compartment.

The generator light on the wagon came on last week, and I figured I'd take a look before taking it to the garage, worth a shot since this is the first car I've had a fighting chance of understanding under the hood for 15 years.  I was just starting to unpack the voltmeter when the neighbor poked her head under the hood and pointed out that the generator mount had loosened so the fan belt was hanging loose.

Chalk one up for the neighbor, she left feeling pretty good.  But I'd already noticed that the voltage regulator I was going to spend the next few hours testing didn't seem to be there.

I've only had the car a few months, and I'm discovering the good works (and not so good) of previous owners.  Perhaps cutting out the regulator was one of the not so good things.

If so, should I be in a hurry to scare up a replacement?

Thanks,

Dave
Hampton
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:20:17 AM »

Your car probably has an alternator with built in regulator.
If your car did not have a regulator, charging of the battery would be uncontrolled and would cause major problems.

An alternator would be about 6 inches long, made of aluminium and have a module at the back.  A generator would be 9 inches long and be made of steel with aluminium end caps either end.

Ken
dbfc

59 FC Station Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 03:55:54 AM »

Thanks, I think you're right on that.  That would explain why the unit doesn't match any of the FC workbook descriptions.

I think it will take a while to work out the vintage of all the different parts of my FC!

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: