FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 09:23:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: grey v's red  (Read 3712 times)
CantGetItUp

holden means a great deal 2 australia

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2005, 02:55:58 AM »

i know u guys love fe/fc's but i have some questions about my ek wagon that u might be able help with.

i hav already changed the front to hr(drum) and the rear to eh, (brakes work better then the misses hyundai s coupe) swapped from donor fb. red engine mounts have been placed so the gearbox is supported by the rear grey mounts, but im still running the grey.
here is the problem do i stay grey or change to red?
if i keep the grey i have a heap of goodies for it to look and sound good but it needs a freashen up and a new gearbox.
if i go to the red/3speed combo(149 or 161) can i still use the original colunm shift. and can i use the same tail shaft. if not what has 2 be done.
HYSTERIA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 02:58:55 AM »

GO THE GREY......... Cool

EK 215 - Who needs all that chrome
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 03:49:53 AM »

HR drum front better than wife's Hyundai?  Jeez, I'd be getting that Hyundai in for a service quick smart Roll Eyes

Seriously though, you need a variety of other bits and pieces to go bigger than 149 (in NSW, anyway) like demister, electric wipers, seat-belts etc.  Rules differ from state to state, so tell us where you're from.  In NSW and Vic (I think), you can go to 149 without engineering certification.

The simplest option as far as tailshaft and column linkages are concerned is to keep the grey crashbox.  It bolts up to red or grey.  I guess the question is what are you looking to achieve?  Is the grey tired, or are you looking for more grunt?  I wouldn't recommend a grey crashbox in something that was going to get driven hard, esp. with a column shift.

Tell us a bit more about your project.  Also, you'll find there has been a lot of grey vs. red discussion over the years on this board.  Have a bit of a scout around, or there's a search facility.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
CantGetItUp

holden means a great deal 2 australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 04:24:50 AM »

im in sa, the car will be just for cruz'n, took it off the road when i stuffed the gearbox and haven't been able to decide for the last 18 months what i want to do (lack of cash and tech info). now that i stumbled across you guys im get'n some better ideas on what i can and can't  do

cheers josh
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:20:44 PM »

I was going to go with a 149 red in my FB sedan and like RET ,I thought an engineers certificate in N.S.W wasn't required as a 149 was within the R.T.A allowance of a 15% engine capacity increase without an engineers cert. However I spoke to an R.T.A certified engineer in Newcastle about 12 months ago and he stated that I needed a certificate even to install a 149 red in the car. I wasn't going to modify the car at all with exception of the 149 red. He said I needed to install demisters,wiper washers,2 speed wipers,brake upgrade etc etc etc.I still think the engineer  is wrong/mistaken, however I have chosen to stick with the greys at least for now anyway.  
   PHAT if you're in S.A. my first stop would be your registration authority there and find out what is and isn't allowed regarding modification to your car.Could save you a lot of time and money if you do.  Regards Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 09:34:36 PM »

I know the rules for modifications are quite different and generally more stringent in SA.  Ironic really, given the lack of annual roadworthy checks in that state, that allow cars that would never be registerable elsewhere to be on the road, year after year.  SA is the place to go if you want a Datto 120Y.  I digress...  You're best off speaking getting "official" advice from the SA Transport Authority.

Getting back to NSW though, the Newcastle engineer is incorrect.  Go to the RTA website, do a search for "Light Vehicle Modifications" and grab the document called "VSI 06.pdf".  It clearly states that "owner-certifiable" modifications (ie requiring only a records change) include:

Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
• engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly);

Now unless your engineer is a Plunkett Street boy he should find that 132.5 x 1.15 = 152.375 and 138 x 1.15 = 158.7.  So a 149 red is within the 15% increase limit for either original grey capacity.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fc_1958

FC5959

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 02:46:52 AM »

Hey Ret

In NSW, is it considered a major structural modification to change an FC front end to HR?

Thanks
Andrew  (Thinkin a 149 might be the go)

Andrew..... AKA   FB 60 on the "other" forum.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 03:45:06 AM »

According to the rules, apparently it is:

If major changes to the suspension (such as substitution of a non standard front cross member) are carried out, they should be done under the strict guidance of an engineering signatory.

I've never heard of anyone having their rego questioned over it, though.

cheers
RET

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: