FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 08:15:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HQ---FC  (Read 6322 times)
davids_ute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2004, 07:23:13 AM »

can anyone tell me if when installing hq upper/lower control arms ,stubs discs and calipers to my fc i have to put the left on the right and vise versa, :-/ gurus anyone
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 08:01:46 AM »

David, you cant bolt HQ upper & lower control arms to your FC.
Nor can you bolt in HQ stub axles - these are ball joint whereas FC is king pin
You can bolt HQ stub axles to a HR front end which gives you a 1 inch lower ride but you must run 14 inch wheels either in HQ pattern or using HK/T/G hubs will give you FC pattern.

Ken
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 09:20:08 AM »

Hi Ken

I don't want to hijack this thread, but for interests sake, when using a HR front cross member, what other (than HR that is) upper and lower control arms can you use (if at all), i.e. can you use HK-HK-HG, HQ etc...?  Something that I have never tried.

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 10:58:09 AM »

Why
davids_ute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 12:10:22 PM »

sorry guys i should of been more specific,( fact: we think about 600words a min and can only write about40)
i think thats my problem thinking to fast anywho i meant uppers and lowers(HQ) onto hr front end first
                                                         cheers david
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 08:20:25 PM »

As Dr T said WHY.
I used the HQ stub axle with out to many problems. If you started changing control arms just for the sport of it you are startint to change the width between the wheels. If this was to shorten I could see why. As once you drop the front 2'' and fit up a set of 7'' wheel there is not much room left for things like steering.  

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 09:24:24 PM »

The reason that I'm asking about interchanging is that a while ago I bought a bare HR cross member but had a hard time buying the upper and lower control arms seperately due to their relative high value and scarcity.  With far more later model cross members around I was just curious if it was an option (only a few weeks ago I saw two cheap, but stripped, HR cross members but was put off by the thought of locating HR control arms seperately.

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 02:49:44 AM »

U can get some really trick stainless tube control arms that are set up for air bags from Tubular suspension systems.

downside is: they cost lots of these $$$$$$$$$$$

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 09:44:53 AM »

The short answer is NO.
If anyone needs HR upper and lower control arms, I have a set of 4 available for $50 pp

Ken
davids_ute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 10:19:54 AM »

next question is then, if i run HR crossmember with matching control arms and if i use HQ stubs can i run Commodore (14") discs and then will i have to use HQ calipers or do commodore units bolt up
ps:someone told me to use HZ calipers is there any reason for this? :-/
                                                       regards david
HARKO
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 11:28:25 AM »

Dave ,The commodore disks will bolt up ,HZ calipers are alluminium and look great polished up but Im unsure whether the commodore calipers will bolt straight up ,I would suggest they will with an adapter to accept the larger diametre and that you would readily buy them from CRS or Hoppers or the like.
Cheers
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 07:28:24 AM »

Dave , if you can find a set of front rotors off a 4 cyl VB commode they will enable you to keep the early holden stud pattern

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
davids_ute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 08:39:02 AM »

thanx, have another question Cheesy
 4 cyl commodore has early model stud pattern??? then would have to run 4 cyl diff to keep it right ?
i thought the only differance with 4- 6 cyl commodore was the diameter of the discs to accomadate the 13" wheels on 4 cyl.
can someone please help with this :-/
                                                             regards david
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 11:59:39 AM »

Dave
the 4 cyl commodore ran the UC torana disc's which enable you to run early stud pattern the same as FE/FC,but the FE/FC rims will not fit as they foul on the caliper you need HR or HKTG rims.
The six cyl. disc run a completely different pattern to any in the holden range basically they are metric, you can bolt HQ rims on but this is not recommended as tightening the wheel studs actually bends the studs putting stress on them, which they were'nt intended for and is dangerous.
no you dont have to fit a 4 cyl commo diff a HR will do
hope this helps!!
cheers
Scott
this                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
davids_ute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 12:09:12 PM »

thanks scott!
i have already got the 14" commodore discs and diff, so i think i will run with them and use commodore rims.
this i think will give me a larger variety of mags to choose from hopefully without fouling on the HQ stubs.
the diff place here in geelong  is pretty reasonable so there wont be a great cost in setting it up i hope.
                                                   regards david Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: