FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 06:29:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Swap, Grey to Red  (Read 2146 times)
BIG_PAUL

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2004, 12:35:55 PM »

Hi Guys
Chasing info on fitting a Red 186 2 speed power glide into my FB Wagon. Anyone have any info whats required and where I can get the parts (Engine Mounts etc)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 12:18:28 AM »

I have this exact set up in my FE.  Long story short, you'll need:

1.  Modified HR front end - which you can buy already done from Hadfield or do yourself - see here for more info.

2.  Modified floor to fit the box, bits and pieces for this also available from Hadfield and other places.  This also entails a proper rear gearbox support.

3.  Auto trans cooler mounted in front of good radiator, or new radiator with integrated trans cooler from another model (eg HR), with radiator support panels cut down to suit.

4.  Shortened tailshaft to suit powerglide.

5.  The p/g dipstick may not suit the FB firewall shape, and could require some rooting around to get right.

6.  There are other bits and pieces like vacuum, possibly a mechanical kick-down linkage from carby to p/g that you'll need.  If the motor and tranny you've got were previously an item in a HR or HK etc, you should have all this kind of stuff already.

7.  All the other requirements of a red transplant to be legal, which varies from state to state.  It's been discussed many times here tho, have a look back through the history of this board.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »

Hi Big Paul

One of our WA members Brad has done this set up on his FC Sedan

If you ring me on 0417919742 days or 94096954 evenings I can give you contact details

or if you can wait Brad will have his car at the next Club meeting on Sept 14 at 7.00pm
RSL Hall
1 Fred Bell Pde
East Victoria Park  

Regards
Gary Stevens
President FE/FC Holden Car Club of WA
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 10:39:20 AM by FE_UTE » Logged

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 07:13:17 AM »

Hi Big Paul,
You will also need to fit a EH sump and oil pick up to the 186.
I think a LC-LJ Torana 6 sump and pick up may also fit.
Regards ACE Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: