FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 02:34:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Servicing an auto transmission  (Read 2146 times)
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2004, 01:04:26 PM »

I am just putting in a VS series II auto and before installing it, I am hoping to service it.  I think this just involves dropping the pan, replacing a filter and checking the bands.

Is this correct? Is the a "servicing" type of part that can be bought? What is involved in checking bands... promise no more questions for this week Smiley
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 09:44:57 PM »

Hi MikeM.

Servicing an auto varies on what type of vehicle you have.

In your case, with the VSII 4L60E, a normal in-car service would include a fluid & filter change as well as checking ECU codes etc. There is no band adjustment required in these boxes.

Since yours is out of the car, forget the ECU codes but check other items that are much harder to access after you bolt the box in. Check the front & rear seal, replace them if there's any sign of leaks, also the selector seal speedo sensor etc.

Dr Terry.
MikeM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 11:17:26 AM »

I have dropped the oil (it was like syrup, which doesnt excite me), but was under the impression that dropping the pan would reveal a filter at least, is this not correct?
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:04:13 AM »

Hi MikeM.

Yes, when you remove the pan, the black plastic flat thing is the filter, it will pull out.

It's a throw-away type like a cartridge type oil filter.

Also when you buy the pan gasket don't use a cork one. The type we use are 'Duraprene' (I hope I spelt that correctly), they look like dark, hard cardboard, but the beauty is , they don't leak. The cork ones always leak, especially if you overtighten the bolts.

Good luck.

Dr Terry.
MikeM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 03:42:16 AM »

legend, this is EXACTLY what I wanted to know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: