FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 08:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: TRIM attaching ???  (Read 2347 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2004, 05:29:02 AM »

My Fc has had all the ( Special ) moulds and trim holes filled in by the previous owner, and done so well that I'm having a hard time re-locating them all.

I want to have all the ( Special ) trim one the car when painted, but have the daunting taks of re drilling all the right holes in exactly the right spots.

Any ideas how I go about finding the exact spots.......or is there a better way to fix the chrome trims to your car withouut metal clips....may a real strong glue ?? ( No rust that way )

Cheers

Mark
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 06:38:22 AM »

I've been giving this some thought for Faecal.  I've got a Tilli's kit to put on the car when it gets resprayed (not in the near future, tho).  I'm kind of loath to drill 200 holes in the car, although doing so with an Uzi has been tempting at certain times in our relationship Wink

Anyway, the glues that modern car trims are fitted with seem promising, you would just need to fill parts of the stainless with resin or bog or something to provide decent surface area.  I know Gary (zulu) has had thoughts along the same lines too.

When you look at the thick rubber/plastic belt mouldings that are fitted to Commodores etc with glue, you wouldn't think the stainless trims would be any heavier.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 06:46:02 AM »

Hmmm....Uzi hey ?

I'll stick that in the back of my mind for now.....but reading your reply answered my dilemma, and I think I may go along those lines.

I thought of glueing the trims on, but could't work out how to glue a shaped and hollow trim piece on.

The spears and straight bits would be fairly easy to fill, but the belts and curved parts would be a bit harder.  

I guess resin is out of the question, as it's self levelling, and therfore hard to fill properly for the curved side belts....so maybe a good quality filler, that way you can file and sand and shape according to the piece youre filling.

Hmmm

I don;t have any concerns about glueing it on, as you could get some pretty wicked glues out there that would hold anything...I just need to think more about what to fill the trims with.

Thanks Ret.
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 07:11:10 AM »

mark   ask your panel beater about automotive double sided tape...thats whats used on most modern trims.
also ask about urathane for doing the same job
 cheers trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 09:09:26 AM »

Hey - I love the UZI idea.  good good good Grin

Mask up with a couple of sheets of inch thick steel and press the trigger.  Ooh yeah

Ken (feeling like shooting something)
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 09:13:09 AM »

Settle down now Ken,  Shocked control yourself !
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 09:25:23 AM »

Mark, if you are going to glue, investigate ductseal SB (for solvent based) available from Parchem in Bentley (about $6 a tube).  It is designed/used for sealing and fixing airconditioning ducting but is also used in Landscaping for sticking paving onto pool headers and steps (and anything else that needs sticking or you break whilst on site Wink), it has some elasticity but is as strong as all hell.  I would spray a panel of that donor car you have and try it on that first, to make sure it works and doesn't react badly with the paint.  

Cautionary note, don't leave tubes anywhere warm like in your car, the stuff swells up and pops the plunger out the end of the tube and makes a hell of a mess.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: