FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 01:15:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: firewall brake boosters???  (Read 4907 times)
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2004, 05:00:57 PM »

hey guys im wanting to get rid of my remote booster, trying to tidy up engine bay,
what im wanting to know is there a brake booster that i can fit that will
1-- fit on firewall without any welding,just drill some holes.
2-- clear the clutch master cylinder.
3-- still use HQ brake master cylinder.

I dont want to hide the old remote booster under the guard seen too many get damage under there

all help or photos greatly welcome Smiley
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 08:45:49 PM »

IM using HK, I had a pic on starphoto but cant get at it.. will see if i can post a pic later.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 09:05:42 PM »

What about putting the booster under the dash? or under the guard and make up a stone shield of some sort.

i don't think you will get a booster to fit without welding or fabrication of some sort. The firewall doesn't have a large enough flat area to mount to. You may get away with a carefully fabricated mounting adaptor though.

FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 09:22:07 PM »

I made up a bracket thats bolts to the original master cylinder holes that allows a VB commordore brake booster to mount to it. The only thing you need to do is enlarge the hole that the shaft passes through & shorten the shaft.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 09:57:15 PM »

heres a pic of the HK set up.. old pic.
U can see  my clutch master blanking plate next to it..

the booster sits well out from the firewall allowing the master to fit.

Hope this helps. this is a very easy set up to replicate, and master cylinder is twin circuit type same as HQ.. Ive used HQ junction block too.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 10:47:42 PM »

I have a HK booster if you're interested that would be suitable for this swap.  Looking for $30 for it + postage.  Happy to supply a photo, please email peteramanda@iprimus.com.au to discuss further.

Regards

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
Dave

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 07:19:42 AM »

G'day peter and kiwi...

I have an EH with an HR dront disc set up and need a brake booster for a roadworthy.

ive been told to use a VH40 - the one that sits on the side of the engine bay (is that what you mean by remote?)

repco want $582 for a new one and i cant find a second hand one. will anything else fit or does somone have an old one that they would be willing to sell.

Cheers
Dave
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 07:37:23 AM »

Dave,
A company in Melbourne Brake Parts Australia who should be able to help you with a new one. Try their web site: http://www.bpa.com.au

Another option is a wreckers in Melbourne who recently had reco'd VH40 for sale at $150 - call them on 03 9310 9044.

Yet another option is a crowd called Hydroboost who sell reco'd VH40's for $195 ($145 with C/O) call them on 03 9390 4811

I have a VH40 spare that available but it needs a full set of rubbers including the diaphram. If you are interested I am looking for $70 + postage (what I paid for it) I am in Melbourne. PM me if you want to take it further.
Trevor B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 01:54:18 PM »

Hi fc4kiwi,

A  best fitt booster to use is from a Gemini with a XB 1in Master cylinder it is narrow and will alow heaps of room for the clutch cylinder, but you will have to do  bit of drilling and a bit of welding.
The next best (easy) fitt is as ED has shown but I find it takes a lot of room up under the hood.
Nothing comes easy when modifying these old girls.  Sad  Wink

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: