FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 08:13:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front end  (Read 4928 times)
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2003, 04:02:11 AM »

Hi guys
Im looking at putting a disc front end in my fc sedan.  I am putting a 186/202 into the old girl and am wondering what is the best/cheapest way to go.
Mick
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 05:22:54 AM »

Check out Ken's excellent article on this topic in our Tech Info section.

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/tech002.html

Also, check with your local authority about what other mods you'll need.  RTA (if you're in NSW) has a document on their website you can download with all the details.

In most states you can put a 138 red (blurgh) or a 149 into an FC without an engineer's report.  Any bigger and you'll need all the other bits and pieces like seat-belts, electric wipers, heater etc etc.

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 05:25:17 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 07:30:19 AM »

Thanks RET
I will get in touch with the road authority of Queensland and try to find out what the standards are.  The article was very helpful and will be a great help when it comes time to get working
thanks
MICK
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 11:40:24 PM »

There are some other guys who participate here who have modifieds and belong to the Queensland Club.  I'm sure they'll be able to help you even more.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 08:19:23 PM »

I have just been reading up on Kens tech article on how to fit a  HR front end into a FE/FC. I would just like to add to it if I may about the engine mounts. These need to be carefully cut free and relocated to the rear most of the crossmember , actually hanginging abot 1/8 " over the rear of the crossmember. The use of an EH sump is critical as well.
One interesting thing I have found is the EJ outrigger seems to be better suited rather than the EH . You would think they are both the same but I have detected subltle differences. The EJ outriggger is I dentified by the two engine mount holes in it for the grey motor mount. The EH of course dose not have this and I suspect it may also be a slightly different shape towards the end. I had all sorts of difficulties with my FC Ute when I fitted a HR Front end with a EH outrigger.. it all bolts in but it seemed to be causing the front end to be tilted back slightly due to this slightyly different shape of the out rigger.  When it came time for a wheel alignment we had to make some spacers under the rear of the crossmember mounts to adjust this tilt.  It drives very nicely now but I may change the outrigger to an EJ item . Has any one else experienced this or am I just unlucky that I have purchased a badly modified HR front end? I would be suprised if I have as its a John Keene  stamped front end and his work is normally spot on . I suspect my front may have been set up for an EH but the engine mounts are in the position for an FC...Go figure... I bought another HR front yesterday ( for my wifes project FC) out of an EH sedan and its in dire need of a redo ... the engine mounts have had about an extra 3/4" added to their height and it has an EH outrigger.  B4 I remove the outrigger I would like to know how different if at all they are in dimensions to an EJ. I will be going to the wreckers and checking as many as I can to try and detect the differences Cheers.....streetneat ....

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 11:25:27 PM »

Hi streetneat,
I've seen a number of early holdens with HR disc conversions with the outrigger mounting rubber chewed out.
I weld the outrigger (some i have had to modify to sit correctly) on last with the crossmember etc  fitted to the car with the outrigger mount attached  and have had no wheel alignment probs. Wink
Regards ACE Cool
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 11:28:30 PM by ACE » Logged
FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 01:46:34 AM »

The spacer tubes for the HR mounting rubbers can be different lengths. They are only a few mm different but it amplifies the distance by the end of the outrigger. If you fit the shorter ones to the rear of the crossmember, the outrigger & rubber will be away from the chassis slightly more than you want. If this is the case you need to swap the spacer tubes around. You might need to grind down either the front or rear spacers a smidge until the angle of the dangle is right.
hope this helps,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 06:13:36 AM »

i had a the same problem with a EH outrigger, talked to a fellow who had do the same HR frontend to a FJ and he used a EJ unit, mention something about EH ones chewing out the rubber mount.
So my FC has EJ outrigger, and had no problems with "rubber chewout". plus wheelaligment has been OK.
Went on to another site a few months ago that someone mention changing the rubber mounts to steel  has anyone seen or done this and what was the effect like for roadhandling and ride comfit?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 08:14:46 AM »

I have to say that I'm not aware of a difference between the EH and FB to EJ outriggers, I've fitted lots of them and have never had a problem.  Leigh is quite correct about the spacer lengths and this traps a lot of people.  On an FC the spacer lengths are different front to rear and should be replaced in the same locations where they came from.
Don't use the HR spacers as these are wrong.
I also do as Ace does by temporarily installing the front end in place and then tack welding the outrigger on.
This gives the best results in my opinion and ensures that when the front end is installed, the outrigger rubber slips on correctly and the front end is aligned correctly as well.
Ken
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 07:11:45 PM »

Ahhhhh.... There you go ...Learn something new everyday. I had no idea about the spacers being different and although I had noticed that some were different I was not aware of the placement of these spacers...especially if I'm not the first to have removed the  front end from the car... I have noticed these spacers are nearly always different in all the front ends that I have dissasembled. Now at last I know where they go. Thanks for that guys. I normally put the outrigger in place after the crossmember is fitted, but in the cases of the projects I have ATM , all the front ends have been modified when we bought them. Sorting out which one for which car is the challenge at present. The information I am now armed with is definately going to help. thanks again. Cheers streetneat.

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: