FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 03:22:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: O/T Virus Warning  (Read 1824 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: January 30, 2004, 09:25:44 AM »

Evening All

Just a little warning to you all. I have been receiving a lot of emial of late addressed to both my personal email and QLD committee address. This is due to a virus going around.

If you receive an email from an unknown source with a zip attachment called either message.zip  or document.zip do not open it just delete.

I am unsure of its content but my wife and the IT guy at work say do not take the chance.

RET may be able to shed more light on the subject.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:50:44 PM »

It's called the MYDOOM or NOVARG virus, and I have received several hundred copies of it in the last few days.  Someone who uses this forum is infected with it, as I am getting copies of it spoofed from fefcholden.org.au addresses, like jane@vic.fefcholden.org.au and so on.

Update your virus software, and turn off the Preview Window (the third pane that shows the email contents under the list of headers).  Don't open any emails purporting to be Microsoft Patches, or Undeliverable Email notices.

Better still, get rid of Outlook Express and use an email client that doesn't have the huge security holes.  I recommend MacOSX Mail Grin

cheers
RET
(Smug Virus-Free Mac-Using Bastard)

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 12:30:34 AM »

Furthermore:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/29/1075340785539.html

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
craiga
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 01:36:41 AM »

If you are infected, or you just wanted check to make sure your OK, download and run this tool, as recommended by Telstra.

Or you may download the Stinger tool http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger to scan your system and remove the virus if present.  [Note that receiving an email alert stating that the virus came from your email address is not an indication that you are infected as the virus often forges the "from" address

Cheers,

Craig (defender of the P.C)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: