FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 09:27:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a new one - fitting speakers  (Read 4541 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: September 23, 2003, 08:22:37 PM »

Has anyone ever successfully fitted 6x9 speakers on the rear parcel shelf of an FE/C before?

Any special tricks? or am I dreaming?

spinach

chrome is better than plastic.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 09:17:12 PM »

hey.

I've got a mate that works at Cartronics on west terrace, he does car audio and alarms. I doubt he's done an FC before, but I'll ask him if he knows. He'll have some good advice at least.

Luke.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 01:07:14 AM »

most audio and auto accessorie shops stock pods to lift bulk of speaker into cabin so only a small hole on each side or even no hole at all if your lucky

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 07:35:16 AM »

G'day Stinky,

I fitted 6 x 9 speakers to my first Fc Sedan by cutting the appropriate size holes in the rear parcel shelf. A lot of playing about but worked OK. Not sure whether or not you can get a better get a better result by putting them into some boxes for better quality sound.

Hope this this helps

Jason.  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 08:08:54 AM »

g'day stinky   i've heard that some licencing authorities don't like the parcel shelf cut because it weakens the cars structure....maybe worth checking
                                   cheers trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 08:49:15 AM »

reminds me of an EH sedan i did up in the mid nineties,made a sort of cracking sound when i cornered hard,i had never lifted neat looking custom parcel shelf with sony 6x 9's out till i was in boot welding up shocker plates where they always split and happened to glance up to see wood shelf with speakers held in at very edges of cold chiseled parcel tray thats right less than 1 inch of steel parcel tray just one big bloody hole,with chiseled edges waiting to rip holes in your hand .needless to say i spent the next weekend welding in new parcel shelf

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 09:08:45 AM »

Thanks for the tips, I will check with the engineer and see what he thinks. I have the chassis kit to go in, so that should more than make up for a couple of speaker holes.

twitch

cant go past an FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 05:26:19 AM »

hi
i have 6X9's in my fc that fit a dream, they were already in there when i bought the car but it just seems like they have just cut the parcel shelf to fit the speakers

FC's rule
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 06:50:23 AM »

Thanks Twitch, I actualy got a pair of 6 1/2" round speakers in last Thursday.

Keeping with the cheap(?) and cheerful build philosophy I have used a pair of Alpine speakers that came out of my wife's old 4WD.

Michaels 57
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 11:24:24 PM »

A friend of mine was given a 'major' defective vehicle sticker because he had cut out his parcel shelf for a set of speakers. The police said it structually weakened the car.

REGARDS
Michael
Leon Julien (FCCOOL)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 04:06:12 AM »

most engineers will accept a hole cut with reinforcment, simular to when you do a floor shift coversion wich involves a steel ring welded in around the hole.
For best sound quality you should use 9mm mdf to make a baffle/parcel shelf, it needs to be tight and secure to prevent vibration. This will give you better sound and much stronger bass as well as lifting the speakers meaning that your hole wont need to be so big. you should then be able to fit a pair 12" subs behind the backseat without cutting anything. the hardest part is the front speakers as its near impossible to mount in the kick panel or dash.
I have two tweeters under my dash with a sony 6x9 in the centre and a 12" kicker sub between 2 kenwood 7x10s in the back in my FC wagon, this was the only way I could get stereo and full range sound in the front of the car without any modern gear in view, the mp3 player is in the glove box with only a valve radio showing in the dash, when you hide the tweeters you need to still try to aim them at the listener as best as possible wich is tricky as the high sounds dont fill the interior as well as lower frequencies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: