FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 05, 2024, 05:03:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown SA  (Read 4749 times)
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« on: September 12, 2003, 10:29:43 AM »

G'day guys...
Here is a pic from King William St, Adelaide circa 1961....  These taxis are parked out the front of the LJ Hooker Investment Corp's newly re-modeled 6-storey headquarters....

Cheers
Les...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 07:44:58 AM by Hewart » Logged

customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 11:53:58 AM »

Hey Les
Cool photo. By the look of that FJ out front, that building isn't quite finished yet.
Regards
Alex

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 12:43:43 PM »

Nice 1 Les, interesting how the taxi signs are on the sun visors, maybe trax models got it wrong with thier taxis, also both are specials, not standards.
Gary
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 08:11:51 PM »

So does this dispel the theory that all taxis were 217 s, and some were 225s and 215s. I think there was no set standard as to what was used as a Taxi. What do you guys think .Also there are no company Decals on the Bodies of these taxis ?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 08:14:01 PM by slim » Logged

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 08:31:30 PM »

Hi.
I reckon those cabs are "Privateers". We still have them down here & they are like that. An everyday car, with just a sign on a sinvisor & cab plates. No company signs. There is a really nice BA XR6 Turbo down here that a fella uses as his cab. Set up erxactly that way.
I also have a shot of a row of cabs in Hobart, that were all black, but were a mix of FE's to EK's, all models, Standard (Business I suppose & Specials).

I think if Trax did a copy of one of those cabs, it would probably be a flop. How boring!

My thoughts.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 12:53:33 AM »

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that all taxis without exception were 217s.  But the 217 was a model built for high-mileage, high-usage applications like company cars and taxis.  So they were popular with the fleet taxi companies, but obviously not popular enough as they were discontinued in 1958.  (FC-217s are very rare, almost as rare as FE-219s)

I agree with Rob that these taxis are probably privately owned cabs.  If it was my cab I'd fit the light to the sun-visor too!  Much cheaper to replace a sunvisor than get holes in the roof fixed Wink

Remember that in the late 50s and early 60s the fitting of two-way radios to taxis was not that common, so the benefit of belonging to Premier Cabs or St George or De Luxe or Silver Top or whoever was not so great.  Most cabbies had to make a living on getting flagged on the street or waiting at the rank.  Geoff (Gertie) worked as a cabbie in the mid sixties, he might be able to add some comments.

As an aside, it has been overshadowed by the 50th Anniversary of the FJ, but this year is actually the 50th Anniversary of the Business Sedan, which was introduced in the last few months of 48 production before the release of the FJ.  The 217 lasted about 5 years.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 11:04:21 PM »

G'day guys...
Interesting thoughts..!! I had a look at a few other taxi pics yesterday and found a mixture of Specials and Business/Standard Sedans... also a mix of the taxi light being on the roof and on the visor, and a mix of companies and privateers... I'll try and post a couple more pics later this arvo...

And I guess another reason for the taxi sign being positioned on the visor as opposed to the roof could've been resale value.... espeacially for the privateers. In those days weren't Holden scarse and waiting lists long...? I imagine with second hand cars selling at a premium, putting your taxi sign on the visor leaves less damage etc and increasing your chances of selling quickly...

Cheers
Les...

Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 05:19:02 AM »

G'day again...
I found a few more pics than first thought, so I'll post 'em on a new topic...

Cheers
Les...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: