FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 30, 2024, 10:18:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT REAR END ???  (Read 4114 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2003, 12:09:03 AM »

I'm hoping you guys can help me.....I'm getting close to working on the rear of my FC sedan, as the front end is finished, ( Original Factory HR Disc Front End ), and was hoping to fit rear DISCS !

I don't want it to be too much of a headache ( if possible ), but I would rather a disc rear if possible.  The front end is running NEW HR discs, so I need to match that if possible, also taking into account, rear suspension clearances and rear spring hangers ect.

What should I do ?

Any help is greatly appreicated.
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 12:14:14 AM »

Blown
If you check out the EH site in vic, they have a tech section on how to fit the disk brake rear end into an EH, much the same for FC/ FE
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Paul kelly
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 08:28:46 AM »

During the 70's I fitted several of my early Holdens with Volvo Disc rear ends.
They are Holden bolt pattern and handle a good bit of punishment.

Paul.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 10:21:37 AM »

IMHO the disc brake rear end is not going to help you very much since 75% of braking is done by the front wheels.  The drum rear is more than adequate for the rear of HR discs as these are fairly poor performers in todays standards.  Volvo rear end is OK but you will not get much improvement for the time and effort spent.
I'm not saying that the HR front and Volvo rear will not pull you up, just not as well as other choices.
Are you running an 8 or a 6.   If you are running an 8 then I think you will need more than HR discs on the front - engineers requirements (in Vic) are for a vented front rotor at least with twin circuit master cylinder.
Once you have fitted bigger brakes to the front then the Volvo rear end will come into play as more brake proportioning will be able to be fed to it.
Hope this helps    Ken
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 11:28:44 AM »

blown FC
ken is right in what he is saying, ive dropped a disc rear in from a V8 commodore, then purchased an adaptor kit from CRS to convert front brakes to commodore aswell, they require HR front stubs as a changeover. also VH booster and dual circut master. i get to run 15inch wheels (more selection) , with low profile tyres they will bring wheel dimentions back to original specs, 13in and high profile or so i have been informed. but you do run into problems with handbrake assembly. car isnt finnished yet so cant comment on performance but im looking at down the track  engine upgrade. hot 192 now, soon to be blown Wink
just food for thought.
dean
got my fingers crossed its all going to work.

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 11:31:23 AM »

oops sorry Blown FC
forgot to add it did cost a fair bit to get the diff housing cut to HR dimentions and new axles fitted.

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 10:12:43 PM »

Thanks fellas.....I'm running a Red 202, slightly worked, but still street friendly.  I'm mating that up to a Tri-matic, but as far as diffs and centres go, that's where I'm at now.

I know it's different, but my Old Landcruiser HJ47 ( tank ), uses 4 wheel Drums and stops amazingly well !

My old Mini Cooper ran Pissy 7" discs up front and drum rears, ( I know there is a weight difference ), but the 7" discs are tiny, but did a fantastic job amazingly enough !

I've already spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars rebuilding the front end to HR specs, so I'm snot keen on changing that set up.   I'd rather go a bit better on the rear ( Hence discs over drums ), fit the twin brake system and I'm sure that should be enough for my uses of the car.    I'm just really keen to know what choices I have.

It seems Volvo is one option, ( BUT WHAT MODEL OR YEAR VOLVO ? )....I've also heard that Toranas had a read disc....is this true, and would that fit ?

Also, if running a holden diff, what centre would be best for street use,  if I want to get up and go off the line ,but stil cruise down the highway  at ease?Huh
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 09:00:43 AM »

hey mark, does "snot keen" mean you want to do or you don't want to do .  sorry ,had a few beers!
                                      trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 09:51:12 AM »

Blown FC
 Revhead FC is selling a Volvo rear end that is set up for an FC it has new pads, rebuilt calipers ect and has handbrake set up. Look under Parts for sale page 4

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
folie

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2003, 08:50:03 AM »

The UC Torana had disc brake Salisbury rear end but it is hard to fit to a leaf spring car because of the hand brake set up. Parts are also in short supply.
A Volvo rear end is almost strong as a 9in, the axles are 27 spline and the hanbrake set up is easier to adapt to leaf spring car.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: