FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 01:29:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recipe for slamming.  (Read 3984 times)
spinach

chrome is better than plastic.

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2003, 09:34:57 PM »

Hi Guys...

I need a step by step recipe for dumping the ass end out of my car. I have like 6 inches of clearance between my gurds and my tyre, and it has to go. I plan to get the guards flared out a bit, but need to know about the best way to set the leaf springs up.  I've heard that getting them "re-bound" with an extra leaf is a good way to start. A friend of mine said lowering blocks are now illegal, is that true? So feel free to hand over any bits of advice on how make my old girl into a low-rider.

spin.
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 01:44:06 AM »

Spinach
Get the rear springs reset to suit what you want, depending on where you are as to what is legal and what is not.

Any decent spring works can do the job for you or if none in area take to nearest suspension bloke and they will send to spring works for resetting,with all the necessary information they will need to do job properly.

Good Luck
John M
PS Lower is not necessarily to way to get it to handle

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 01:53:07 AM »

Who cares how it handles, as long as it looks kool!  Grin Grin

I will soon be in the same boat, so I would appreciate the tips too.

Gree's car looks pretty low, but he also had visual lowering aids with the spats and fake lakes pipes.

How's Gree's car going anyway?

Graeme

one of thses days my wagon will be finished.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 02:28:23 AM »

Hi Spin,

Just had my rears reset 2" and with 2" blocks wagon now sits great.    They also provided a pair of 4way adjustable rear shocks and with an all up cost of $330 it was money well spent,

Carrolls Springs is the place and they are in 1636 Hume Highway Campbellfield phone 03 93573457.  They also have places in Rocklea Qld and Smithfield NSW.  Took the spirngs in Wednesday lunchtime and they were ready thursday lunchtime.

Graeme
spinach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2003, 04:37:38 AM »

Thanks guys, I've found a place in Adelaide, Industrial Springs on the other side of town. It's the place that all the suspension places eventually give them to anyway, cuttin out the middle man, gotta save a few bucks there.

spin.
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 09:34:10 AM »

You can get the rear leaves reset lowered and also reverse the eyes so it will get it down a far bit

Ben
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »

"Who cares how it handles, as long as it looks kool!"

As an engineer in training as a Vic roads inspector I can tell you that this is the exact attitude why inspectors are here to stay and cars MUST be built to comply with ADR's

You may not care how it handles, but the owner of the car you hit as your vehicle goes all out of shape going around corners certainly does!!

I realise you were talking tongue in cheek but reality is that I believe we we should promote safe modification of cars - not irresponsible hacking.

Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 11:05:30 AM »

Yes Ken, it was tongue in cheek.
I suppose I assumed that the audience was mature enough to realise that I wasn't supporting unsound mods to suspension (no I am not suggesting you are immature).
I have a young family, 3 under 5yrs, and I am all too conscious of car safety. Recently I was involved in a couple of minor car accidents (no serious injuries) and it brought home the reality that it doesn't take much to cause a great deal of damage to cars and humans alike.

spinach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2003, 12:08:06 PM »

cheers for the info again guys, my post may have sounded immature, but then again maybe i am. i want my car to look good, im not there to go fast, slow and low thats my tempo. ive got to many mates with turbos and 5 litres to bother trying to go fast.

in about a months time i'm getting a cut down commodore rack and pinion setup, will having the lowered front springs hamper that at all? the guys basically promised me it's like having power steering on there when compared to the old linkage.

spin.
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2003, 02:34:30 PM »

Hi Ya Spin
    The rear springs on my car were "reset" and it's "very" low (don't have to worry cos it's not a street car) but once I had to drive it in Blacktown (Sydney) RSL car park , and couldn't get over the "speed humps" Also the open road isn't as smooth as a race track. Make sure it doesn't "bottom-out" on a rough road , very dangerous , also some Servo's have steep drive-ins . Also it's a real B#tch to get a jack under .  Just don't wanna lose one of our guys   Smiley
  Cheers
  Norm

(Spin, there's a pic on page 3 of Real Cars in "racing FE & FC's)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 02:56:01 PM by normd » Logged

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2003, 04:23:41 PM »

im not there to go fast, slow and low thats my tempo.

Spinach
If this is true are you building two cars?
As your other posting re grey motors says you want the grey motor  to really hum.
Can't have it both ways,a mexican ground dragging image or a car that will handle and behave itself when required.
Decision time,a true road car or a show pony which is only driven on smooth surfaces (Summernats will be ruled out as the surfaces are not that smooth).

OR

Spend a lot of dollars and get a fully engineered (read expensive) air bag suspension which can go up and down at will and give the best of both worlds.
This will take you out of the back yard engineer into the real world of car design and engineering(read more expense).

How big is your budget?

John M
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 04:25:05 PM by fcmayberry » Logged

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
spinach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2003, 10:43:43 PM »

decision time. my grey motor will 'hum', but not for a long time. right now it's short motor sitting just outside my window on an engine stand. i have a stock as a rock grey in there at the mo, with the only go fast bits being a set of homemade extractors. and the compulsory bits of chrome.

my budget is that of your average person, i have bills to pay and a girlfriend, but in between the bills and the missus i get to to put just a bit aside for my car. i already have quotes ready to go for commo brakes, steering and rear, and also the remaking of my trans-tunnel. at that point in the not to distant future, a stinker grey motor and 4 spd goes into my car along with all of the above.

come next thrusday my old girl will have shrunk 2 inches with new adjustable shocks on all 4 corners, slow and low is my current tempo.

thanks all.

spin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: