FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 07:51:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: red motor engine conversion  (Read 3618 times)
Mark Aubrey
« on: August 03, 2003, 06:25:34 AM »

I am looking to see if anyone knows someone in NSW, preferably Newcastle or Sydney area, who will do the complete conversion of a 186, 202 or VK 6 cylinder engine into a FC ute. I have the HR front end and will buy an engine but wondered if I could get someone to do the engine and a 4 on floor conversion for me. Also will I get grief from the RTA or is it fairly straight forward if a professional job is done. Cheers
Mark Huh
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 07:03:29 AM »

G'Day Mark
I am sure someone will steer you straight for a conversion in your area, but if fitting anything above a 149 red in NSW you now need full engineers certification and all it intails.Which will include the disc brakes, two speed wipers, seat belts and a heater demister unit plus whatever else takes the engineers fancy at the time. Not trying to turn you off the idea but be prepared for a large quote if you intend to pay someone else to do it all, time costs money.
Good Luck
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
craiga
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 08:21:06 AM »

Mark,

Alan Wall from the NSW Club is a mechanic and very experienced with this conversion. He can be contacted via the forum (he visits here occasionally, forum name is "Al" see http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=nsw;action=viewprofile;username=Al) or via the NSW Club.

Another one of the NSW guys, Craig Jordon, had a drive in-drive out red motor conversion done to his FE so you could chase him up through the club.

Hope this helps.

Craig.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 10:09:56 AM by craiga » Logged
aubs

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 10:57:51 PM »

Thanks Craig, I couldn't use the link in the page but I will track the guys down through the members area.
Cheers Smiley
aubs

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 11:00:27 PM »

Also to John M, thanks for the advice. I dont intend to get it all done by someone else. Actually even if I could just get the welding done and changing of the engine mounds etc. I could put the engine and gearbox in. Thanks
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 06:13:16 AM »

Hi Aubs
 My phone no. is 0405104821 or 47512252 if you need to talk to me. I have done heaps of these conversions.

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 11:13:55 PM »

AFAIK you can still buy the HR f/e with the mounts moved and outrigger fitted off-the-shelf from Rod Hadfield.  I think it's an exchange service, so if you already have one, that's an option you could consider. although the postage costs might be a bit frightening Roll Eyes

There is a detailed article in our Tech Info section about how to fit one of these.  It's not quite a bolt-up proposition, but just about.

Hope that helps,

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 11:22:10 PM »

... oh and another thing Wink

You'll need to modify the transmission tunnel and get a rear mount for your gearbox if you want to run a 4 speed (or pretty much anything other than a grey crashbox).

Have a search in this Modification Help area for "RTA" or "engineer" in the last 365 days.  You'll find this topic has been discussed quite a bit, and there are phone details for Lohning International engineers, who quite a few guys in the NSW club have used and been happy with.  John Varetimidis from Lohning is the guy who does the engineering comments for Expression Session in Street Machine, and he's pretty approachable.

If you know what you'll need before you start, you can at least have some sort of a plan and a budget for the project.  Like all car projects, expect to blow that budget.  By how much is up to you and how far you let the scope of the project increase.... Wink

Oh and you should be able to use that link now you've registered on the site.  Guests can't use Private Messaging.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: