FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 09, 2024, 09:40:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help Required - PROJECT-58  (Read 4231 times)
PROJECT-58

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »

Hello All,

Long time reader but first time poster seeking advice on a current project as I feel I've "bitten off more than I can chew"

The car in question is a 1958 FC Special Sedan that requires a full restoration: rust, panel and paint, drive train, electrical etc

I have been reading the forum and build threads but still require clarification on so many things and I hope this is the correct place to ask?

1) I plan on having the car blasted in preparation for rust repairs and just wondering if its wise to remove the outter sil prior to blasting and did you remove the entire front clip of the car?

2) The car currently has a hr disc front end and the gentleman I purchased it from mentioned to change the stud pattern and I'm wondering how I go about in doing this?

3) I would ideally like to put a disc brake rear end in as well and have read that most options require length removed?  What is the length required and can you suggest axle options once it has been cut down?

4) Is there a rubber/seal replacement kit that I can purchase or should I make a list of what is required and buy them individualy from Rares?

5) Rust repair sections from Rares seem the easiest place to source what is required but I was unable to find sils?

6) I will need to rewire the entire car and wondering if I can purchase a complete harness (factory or after market) or am I best to take it to an auto electrican?

I have loads more questions but they will do for now as I'm sure all of the above will keep me busy enough for now

Thank you in advance

PROJECT-58 (John)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »

1. In my opinion yes, but just cut the front out of the sill. If you cut the whole sill out then you should reinforce the door opening before moving the car around. Definitely take off the front subframe.
2. Change the stud pattern to what? Fitting HQ to HZ rotors and calipers will change the pattern to HQ. But you could choose Commodore pattern or Ford pattern.
3. The diff length you choose depends on the wheel choice (offset). Axle availability also depends on what you choose, ie 9 inch or Borg Warner etc.
4. Yes an entire rubber kit is available.
5. Rare spares are generally ok, sills should be available.
6. Custom wiring kits are available (eg Painless) - I assume your car is modified.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »

I guess I can help ,but first things first . What are your plans with the vehicle eg. daily drive , weekender , tow car , show , then you can plan your mods. around what you plan to do with the car . I have had many old Holdens in the past 45 years and have owned the one I have now for more than 30 years and it started as a bit of a rod in my youth but I gradually toned it down to what I have now . A lot of people knock it but its the way I like it . Small red with lots of head work and a twin barrel and x2 headers and sports system . 5 speed, rear rack, HR front and rear with 7" chrome rims [205/13] ,H4 headlights ,Nissan wiper motor ,bucket seats, centre pull handbrake,,centre console and under dash tray  and retracting seatbelt reels under floor in rear to allow the seats to slide back [its a van] . My son tried to drive it on his "L" because he said he wasn't getting enough feedback from the Saab and at first he hated it but after I told him to punch it through the gears and drive it like he stole it , he now loves to drive it . I guess what I am trying to say is ,if you plan your car then you can save a lot of dollars and plenty of undue stress .Haydn
PROJECT-58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:54:37 PM »

1. In my opinion yes, but just cut the front out of the sill. If you cut the whole sill out then you should reinforce the door opening before moving the car around. Definitely take off the front subframe.
2. Change the stud pattern to what? Fitting HQ to HZ rotors and calipers will change the pattern to HQ. But you could choose Commodore pattern or Ford pattern.
3. The diff length you choose depends on the wheel choice (offset). Axle availability also depends on what you choose, ie 9 inch or Borg Warner etc.
4. Yes an entire rubber kit is available.
5. Rare spares are generally ok, sills should be available.
6. Custom wiring kits are available (eg Painless) - I assume your car is modified.

Thank you for the above information mcl1959. I've been told to change the stud pattern to Ford for greater  brake and wheel selection?

I was given a Commodore diff assembly with the sale of the car that I would like to utilize if possible to help keep costs down?

I guess I can help ,but first things first . What are your plans with the vehicle eg. daily drive , weekender , tow car , show , then you can plan your mods. around what you plan to do with the car . I have had many old Holdens in the past 45 years and have owned the one I have now for more than 30 years and it started as a bit of a rod in my youth but I gradually toned it down to what I have now . A lot of people knock it but its the way I like it . Small red with lots of head work and a twin barrel and x2 headers and sports system . 5 speed, rear rack, HR front and rear with 7" chrome rims [205/13] ,H4 headlights ,Nissan wiper motor ,bucket seats, centre pull handbrake,,centre console and under dash tray  and retracting seatbelt reels under floor in rear to allow the seats to slide back [its a van] . My son tried to drive it on his "L" because he said he wasn't getting enough feedback from the Saab and at first he hated it but after I told him to punch it through the gears and drive it like he stole it , he now loves to drive it . I guess what I am trying to say is ,if you plan your car then you can save a lot of dollars and plenty of undue stress .Haydn

The car was purchased from a younger gentleman who is building another FC sedan with a V8 engine swap and was a wealth of knowledge but unfortunately I forgot 99% of his advice the moment we pulled out of the driveway.

What I can remember is:
1959 Special sedan that had a Holden 6 with triple carburetors fitted to a Hr front end and 5 speed gearbox and Hr differential.

The vehicle has been off the road for approximately 20 years but appears to have had a significant amount of money spent on it at sometime in its life.

I want to build a car that I can drive to work on occasions and on weekends but isn't going to cost a small fortune to run or that I have to sell a kidney to fund the build.
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »

Hi John
If you are wanting to keep the cost down on your build and not have to sacrifice a kidney then I would not be worried about trying to change to F#@d stud patterns and the like.
If you have a commodore diff these can be shortened fairly cheaply as Hayden said amount depends on what rims you want to run and it is fairly easy to convert the front end to commodore callipers and rotors and there is a big range of wheels to chose from.
Don't forget you will need to run a booster for the front and back and the commodore booster fits well and does a good job and is cheap.
To help much more you need to tell us what engine/gearbox you are thinking of running.
Blasting the car is going to cost you over the $1000 mark.
A rubber kit is going to cost you just over the $1000 mark.

Lots of people on here including me will tell you to plan the project before you jump in and try to stick to the plan as much as possible that way you know what you have budgeted to do and hopefully no nasty surprised get in the way.

Please post some pictures of the car and floors etc. so we can see what you have to start with.

Regards
Neil H
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: