FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:39:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC power steering  (Read 6680 times)
TAZ64

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:12:36 AM »

I'm new to the FC world (previously had HQ, HJ and Chevs) and have loads of questions to ask as I progress through my ute.

First one, is there a compatible power steering unit which can be fitted to a FC Ute without too many modifications?

Cheers,
           JT

Brisbane
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

Don't know of a bolt on solution but EHs had a factory option. Guess they would be rare. All the steering gear is compatible but the actual steering box and column are different. Conversion to power rack and pinion from later commodore would probably be feasible but in this case power steering might be considered an overkill and not worth the effort trying to fit pump etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:29:17 PM »

Maybe look at skinnier wheels and a good wheel alignment my FE steering is pretty light ?

Longman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 01:14:12 PM »

Im not sure if the width is the same for an FC, maybe not, but a mate put a power rack from a R31skyline in his EH without modification.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »

Stronger Arms? Hahaha couldn't help myself. Good luck with the search.
I chose not to add power steering to mine as it's still light even with the V8 in it.

TAZ64

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  It has 13x5.5 front rims, maybe a wheel alignment is required, although it tracks straight

Cheers,
           JT

Brisbane
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »

They're certainly hard work if you fit a small sports steering wheel - does anyone still do that? - but generally the steering is not real heavy if it's set up right. One man's "not real heavy" is another bloke's "cardio workout", of course. One guy in our club has fitted Barina electric power steering, and is pretty happy with it. I've also seen Torana and E300 rack and pinion set-ups, as well as the "Rod's Racks" custom fabricated setup.

Even a ball-joint front end will be an improvement over the kingpins. Tell us more about what you're building.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »

Running radials no doubt. Pretty easy to adjust caster on the stock front. You could try decreasing each side by one turn of the threaded top bushes effectively bringing top of king pin forward. Been a long time since I did this.  Otherwise just get an alignment and tell them you suspect excessive caster. 165 or 175 85s pumped up to 34 psi would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 08:28:24 PM »

I think Rohan day on facebook fc page fitted rodeo power steering box but was a bit of subframe hacking.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 09:31:06 AM »

I have a 1991 mazda [similar to a 626] in the yard . It has been sitting for 3 years and am not sure what to do with it .I kept it because its a RF7 diesel and the rear power rack seems to be the right width for a HR front end and the pump runs a simple v-belt .Has anyone done this before ? I think it would be quite simple . I never had many heavy steerings on early holdens ,king pin or ball joint but I did have a somewhat frozen reconditioned stub axle once . Haydn
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »

Has anyone looked at putting the under dash electric power steering unit on
   works off the column not the rack ,   looks compact enough and no need to fill up your engine bay with belts and pumps
   l think some race cars use them

just an idea
                 greg

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »

http://www.ultimatepowersteering.com.au/electric-power-assisted-steering-epas-1/

Like these?

Regards

Wayne b
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »

Has anyone looked at putting the under dash electric power steering unit on
   works off the column not the rack ,   looks compact enough and no need to fill up your engine bay with belts and pumps
   l think some race cars use them

just an idea
                 greg

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that Geoff_K had done this, and fitted a Barina unit to his FE.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »

What are the rules on electric ? There is a guy local here that does early English with electric but I am not sure regarding collapsibility and engine upgrades [larger hp] . I suppose its just a matter of which engineer you can get to sign off on it . Cheers Haydn   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: