FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:28:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fitting a lj torana r/end  (Read 3789 times)
fink

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:14:58 AM »

Can anyone tell me how much exra clearance there is fitting a LJ Torana r/end and can the stud pattern be modified to HQ ,thanks,Gaz!
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »

I seem to recall a friend and I measuring the LC-LJ rear end that I put in my Vauxhall against my HR rear end under my FC van and we decided it would be near perfect in regards the standard tub to rubber clearance and the 7" with 205/60 13 . But I couldn't tell you accurately on other sizes and offsets .You probably know that the problem with the HQ-HZ bango axles is that they taper down after the spline and so cannot be shortened easily .I have seen the Commodore diff shortened and restudded to fit HQ . I guess its a matter of what you can find or already have in wheels . I have a similar problem with the two Vauxhalls .I have to go with the LC -LJ Torana front and rear ends for the narrow fitment and can't go wider than 6" and would love a set of 14" x 5x108 hotwires for the Caleche . Anyway I hope you can find what you need .Cheers Haydn .  [
fink

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »

Thanks Hayden,i'm hoping that the torana axles can be restuded to HQ and drill the drums to suit,not sure  Huh
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:18:32 PM »

A friend of mine made adaptor plates to bolt over the existing axles with HQ stud patern but the existing axles had to be recessed to allow for the back of the HQ studs and also jacks the width out the thickness of the adaptor . Guess what I'm saying is that the early axle flange is too small to redrill but large enough to be a problem . I would look at a larger set of axles and get a quote on resizing to take the torana bango bearings and spline . If you have the time to wait you might even pick up a Salisbury that has been shortened for LC LJ . I was looking at one at a swap north of Brissy late last year. I would still look at a modified commodore diff and make enquiries even on this forum as to if the studs can be moved . I have a feeling that someone I know resized the stud holes from metric to unf offsetting the holes in the process [not sure whether he used over sized studs] and came up with the Hq patern . I will get back to you if I can find anything .Cheers Haydn     
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: