FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:10:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Steering Column Options  (Read 2628 times)
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »

I know I have asked this question before but the previous posts seem to be missing. I will be starting work again on the FE (at least that's what the wife promised me:) ) and I want to put in a shorter steering column, preferably with column auto. I also require EH or later so that I can get an after-market steering wheel. I think the HR column was mentioned previously as an option but did they come with column shift auto? Thanks in advance.

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Richard Thomas (Guest)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »

I could be wrong but I don't think there was anything but column shift automatics for the HR.  I think the first T-Bar was HK (or maybe even HT or HG).  Even the floor-shift manual HRs are as rare as can be.
The FB/EK column is virtually identical to the FE/FC one, but 2 inches shorter.  The later models (as you correctly stated) have a different boss.  I'm not 100% sure when this changed, but I am pretty confident that an FC wheel will fit an EH column, so I suspect it was HD that it changed.  Hope that's some help.
RET
Brad (Western Aust)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »

I am also looking at using an auto steering column in my FC (converting to 186/Trimatic).  I had an auto electrician around today and he was asking whether the EK-EJ-EH Hydramatic columns have the reversing and Park-Neutral safety switch on the column or on the gearbox (for the purposes of adding necessary wiring to the harness to suit).  Interested to note Richard's comment about about later columns having a different boss.  I would like to use my FC wheel, should I seek out an EK column??
Richard Thomas (Guest)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »

Hi there Brad,
I'm not sure of the location of the safety-switch, but just wanted to point out that the Hydramatic has the gears in a different order to the TriMatic, which is standard PRNDL.  The ol' Hydra has L and R next to each other, from memory.  So that could create a bit of a problem if the cut-out is on the column.
cheers, RET
Brad (WA)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »

Richard,
Thanks, I am aware that the gear order is different, having been reminded on a posting to this site some months ago where the cutting of a new "gate" for the selector was discussed (also, I used to own an EH 179 Auto back in the 70's).  I guess I'll just have to do some looking around the wrecker's yards to find out where the safety switches are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: