FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 30, 2024, 08:33:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Light Problem.  (Read 2912 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »

Hi All,

Some time ago I was told that one of my headlights wasn't working. On investigation I couldn't find the problem as the lights were working as expected. Come Monday last week I pulled up to my garage door and noticed the left light was dull. I checked and indeed it was dull on both High and Low beam. In fact the intensity of the light didn't change when changing the beams. Not having time to check I left it. This is where it becomes strange. The next night I pulled up to the garage again and paid note. The problem was still there BUT the dull light was on the right head light. HuhHuh? Have a guess what last night when I checked it had gone back to the left light. The lights are halogen inserts. I suspect it may be an earth problem but if anyone has any other suggestions I would most happy to listen.

Cheers

Rod
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »

Check the wires on the dimmer switch thats where my problem was..

try a alligator clip wire or a piece of wire and earth direct from the battery to the earth on the terminal strip on the inner guard.

But i still reckon it will be the dimmer.

Pete

mickrat

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »

you definately have a problem with the earth, its probably at the light terminal strip on both inner guards, black wire remove screw and clean terminal , screw and washer, also check battery earth strap on the block as well as earth strap from engine back to the body, usually around starter back to the body, this one usually get forgotton about on rebuilds, gaining its earth back through linkages etc, with movement sometime you have an earth sometimes you dont, use a jumper wire from the negative terminal to black wire on light terminal strip one side at a time with the lights on, you will see the lights brighten up will help you work out what side is at fault....

1957 fe special sedan    (rusty one )    1958 business sedan   ( good one )   

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »

If you still have the original light buckets they have an earth strap in them as well. Only small but if theyre not good no lights.

Colin.

colt
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »

Thanks everyone. Followed all suggestions. Firstly cleaned terminal block and all this led to was no lights at all. Started the engine and lights eventually came back on. Then cleaned and inspected dipper switch (gee that is a bugger to get at). Terminals were definitely dirty but this didn't resolve the issue. I then took one light out of the bucket to inspect. Couldn't see any issue. Then reassembly and finally lights were working as they should. May be the wriggling of the terminals at the back freed up the earth. Still not convinced the issue is resolved but time will tell.

Once again thanks for your insight fellas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: