FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 09:31:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Floor grafting/replacement option  (Read 10974 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:32:41 AM »

Hi all

Just wanting to know something or ideas, suggestions. I have a hilux 1980 buggy in the paddock. I thought of taking out the front floor and grafting it into the fe when i do the sills. Was thinking cos i already have it, I could do it, then all the seat belts, seat fixtures will go straight in and it has same sort of width. Not sure if its worth it or not. I could graft out the pedal box area too I suppose. Or is it just easier to go with repro floor pans and be done with it then weld bucket seat mounts on. I want to run bucket seats.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »

It's far easier to fix the floors and make some simple brackets up for buckets.

in the shed
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »

thats what I reckon, thanks.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »

but if you do
there is no restriction on engine size as commercial vehicles do apply to the new rules

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »

it sounds like you're saying grafting a ute floor into another vehicle qualifies it as a commercial... surely not in any State?

have you got a supporting document/ link?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »

it sounds like you're saying grafting a ute floor into another vehicle qualifies it as a commercial... surely not in any State?

have you got a supporting document/ link?

Cheers

Ed

I think he means rebodying the whole thing over the Hilux chassis, is that what you mean John???

Mick Cool
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »

that'd make more sense...

but a mono shell (FE FC) on a chassis which is registered may be a "canadian" build.

a mythical beast??

in the shed
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »

yes that what i mean
it would (to vic roads, rta, etc) be registered as a hilux rebody, not an fc and would then need to apply to all reg of that year and make,

this is what i have been looking into and try to way up, until i have all the info and funds to start the project

and as of current i know of 2 fc/fe that have this done so "a mythical beast" i think not (not including 365 day and that dosnt have rails)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:39:51 PM by john253a » Logged

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:28:43 PM »

na im only talking about floor pans after sills are fixed.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy i already have a set of pans, trans tunnel sills etc. but i am doing 2 cars and I have a hilux sitting in the paddock.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:40 PM »

by the way, the hilux is a biggy with roof cut off and roll bars, it has been converted to a v6 and is a good runner, the running gear is drum brake lds diff and 5 speed holden vn manual and engine. I wouldnt bother using a hilux for anything. they understeer to shithouse when u put any power through it. They are used to having slug engines. but doesnt matter with the buggy cos it only has front brakes which makes it oversteer for fun. so not sure if anyone is interested in something like that where all the work has already been done with the conversion. There are that many fast cars dirt cheap now, that I am thinking of respecting the cars age and going for a hot 202 in one and stock the other. but still have high end diff for the disks and more comforts such as rack etc.

Deano

john253a

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »

i love my hilux's
never had a 2wd before so cant comment there, but all until now have had 8's in them, and im converting my newest one as we speak
i want a live axle again, as its a bit easier with the mods, my 09 sr5 had a ton of issues get anything passed

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »

and as of current i know of 2 fc/fe that have this done so "a mythical beast" i think not (not including 365 day and that dosnt have rails)

John,

Any chance of posting pics of these? are they road going and registered?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »

fe350chev
I grafted the VP floor hump into my FC retaining the original shifter, inner seat mounts, seat belt buckle mounts and the centre hand brake thought it came out not to bad.

Regards
Neil H

" title="Hosted by imgur.com
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »

Mick Collett fc is a prime example (build by fast lane)

to quote fchoon
Peter fitzpatrick had a hq front rail section in his fc im pretty sure before going to the set up he has now

not a prime example
http://s16.postimage.org/uzobtm2y9
or
http://s15.postimage.org/yck7krjon
http://s18.postimage.org/ctkrve5j9

over on the fb forum there are more then there fair share of full chassis
look at "harkos" 2 build both with Toyota chassis

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »

John,

I think we should clarify the differences in builds mentioned here and the reality of trying to rebody an FC over say a Hilux chassis.

The fast lane build is an entirely different build to a rebody, probably an ICV by NSW stds... not road registered yet.

Fitzy's car did have an HQ subframe, he showed me the build pics at the NAts as we looked at his car.. it was pioneering engineering, but again not a rebody an MPV.

Harko's van never saw the light of day Im afraid, and his EK ute is still in progress.. not registered.

More recently and closer to home here, we have Pete and Jason's and Pedro's projects which have significant rail mods but not rebodys.

Not saying it cant be done, but I'm yet to see an FC or FE engineered and registered.  There are notable high profile cars which are rebodied.. the Chop Shop 51 Chev pick up over Rodeo for example and I can think of plenty... but still no fe fcs.

I had big discussions about rebodying with the engineers and it's not an option they encourage people to do, especially if the car was originally a mono shell.  if the car originally sat on a full chassis, there is alot more scope for rebodying. 

Also if you have previous work certified by an engineer (which they like) they also begin to allow you more scope for modification which is still under their interpretation of the rules.

anyway, I reckon this is the reality of rebodying.. it's far from easy from a regulatory and compliance point of view (for an FE FC).

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »

Won't somebody think of the carpet?  Cry
Just be careful how you go unless you want multi-piece custom carpet, it is best to stick to a stock combination.

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »
+1

Thats the trimmers problem to stuff around till it looks right  Grin

john253a

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 11:36:02 PM »

thanks ed
i no about them not recommend it, as im still looking into all options, for my current ride
and im still having issues getting anyone to want to take it on for full vic reg, and an ivc is just out of the question, as the car doesnt meat the requirements unless its a rebody or the car is grafted over another , so with the drive train that i have for it there is no other way of full reg,

"A person may wish to "individualise" a monocoque body shell from a
production passenger car with significant modifications - for example,
complete driveline and suspension replacement from different vehicles.
However, the vehicle is considered a modified production vehicle, not an
ICV."

so its a design not made lightly, as i see many unfinished project due to not knowing the amount of work required to take on such a job or the funds needed,
im looking around the 60 mark doing most of the work myself without the drive train

but like most im open to options to what others are getting passed in the cc area and what they had to do (exempt streetrod/hotrod reg)
because idd like to avoid many hr in labour to re graft or fit, if some knows of other was to get passed

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »

Thanks fellas. Thanks for the pics. Just after opinions. And Stinky, nobody thinks about the trimmer lol. Like they said, thats your problem, but their problem when they go to pay you ha ha.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: