FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:33:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer Lights Connector  (Read 5932 times)
Oggz

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »

Need to wire up a socket for trailer lights on the sedan, have a 7pin rectangular socket but am kind of lost as to where/how to mount it and how to pass the cable through the body into the boot. Does anyone have suggestions or pics of how they have done this?

Cheers
Jemahl
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »

I would weld a bracket to the towbar (not the tongue) and drill a hole through the boot floor near the filler neck and protect the wire with a rubber grommet.

Ken
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »

Another option: Holden not so long ago made a flat trailer cable. You could put your connector in the boot and place the flat cable on the opening then close the boot with the wire hanging out. No holes to drill.

Colin.

colt
MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »

When I used to tow caravans some years back I ran the wires through the hole at the back of the boot where the number plate light wire goes through.
I drilled and tapped 2 small holes in the tow bar to attach a bracket for the plug.

Mal.
OldGMHolden
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »

Can anyone tell me how to get the trailer indicators to work legally when plugged into an FE?
Current regs require seperate taillights and indicators, but FE's don't have them.
Anyone?

Cheers,
Gaz
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »

Gaz,

It was a long time ago when I did the wiring for the towbar on my FE, but I recall having to run at least 2 wires to the steering column area to pick up the blinkers

I ran them under the car, from the towbar, with P clips to the petrol tank, and attached here and there along the fuel line, then up the steering column

I am sure others on here will be able to explain it better than that, or what they did, but thats what I ended up doing and it all works well.

Gary

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

Some time ago I changed the reverse lenses to blinkers in both an FE Sedan and FC Ute. It was a relative simple task as the wiring was already in place (the reverse wiring). All I did was tap into this wire which wasn't being used. If memory serves me correct I then disconnected the brake switch wire (behind the dash) from the switch which was joined by a 4 way connector with the blinker circuit. This brake wire was then connected to the blank wire discussed earlier. I then changed over the brake globe holders so they were in Reverse Lenses and connected up a new holder for the new brake wire/s.

I think this is what I did but I do know I used the unconnected, not used reverse wiring and made appropriate changes under the dash and the rear end. Should be able to do the same for the trailer wiring. Have a look at a wiring diagram and you should see what I mean.

Rod
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »

Check this out. Not as confusing as my post.

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13475.0.html

Rod
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »

An this. A close up of the wiring.

http://fefcholdejavascript:void(0);n.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,19166.0.html
OldGMHolden
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »

Thanks everybody,

It appears there will be some extra wiring involved after all.

Cheers,
Gaz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: